44

Macy was back and she bought Kgomotso that-hard-to-pronounce ice cream from Woolworths. She was in good spirits because there was a sale and ended up spending less than she anticipated. She pulled each item out of the shopping bags, singing endless praises because not everyone could still afford to buy groceries to last a month. 

“How was breakfast?” asked Macy, after telling Kgomotso how much she saved on the milk. Anesu on the other hand was clueless about the price of milk, so this piece of information wouldn’t be significant to him because he was the type that didn’t even check the price tag.

“It was lovely, thank you.”

After Kamo’s departure Kgomotso opened a bottle of wine and nursed her feelings one glass at a time. She was relieved the burden of putting herself last was no longer weighing down her shoulders, however the pain in her heart was immune to the fermented grapes and the bottle was almost empty.

Even though their sisterhood was rocky she thought the good times they shared would make up for the anguish they caused each other when their claws came out. But saving herself was more important than keeping water out of a sinking ship.

“Didn’t you buy something for yourself?”

She watched Macy pack the shopping away and offered to help but Macy seemed to think she’ll only be getting in her way.

Her pencil brows didn’t move an inch as she frowned. “No. Mr Luthuli gave me this card to use for household expenses and to pay for Uber when I run errands. I spoil myself with my salary.”

Kgomotso was tempted to ask how much she made but that would be nosy.

“How long have you worked for Anesu?” she asked instead.

“5 years.”

That was long enough to know every skeleton in his closet.

“Has Anesu lived with another woman before?”

Macy folded the black shopping bags and put them in the bottom drawer.

“Why are you asking me that question? Mr Luthuli is my boss, I don’t concern myself with his personal life.”

That was a first! A domestic worker that didn’t gossip about her employer was unheard of like a unicorn sighting.

“I’m just curious that’s all.”

She crossed her arms and stared at Kgomotso long enough for her to feel judged. “You look like a nice person, I just hope that your intentions are good because Mr Luthuli is a very good man.”

“I know he’s a good man and that’s one of the reasons why I love him so much.”

“Then we don’t have anything to worry about.”

Why did she make it sound like they needed her approval to be together? She isn’t Anesu’s mother.

Kgomotso emptied the last bit of wine into the glass and sipped. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

Macy wiped the counter instead of giving Kgomotso an answer, scrubbing the same spot which was already clean.

“I’m a single mother, I don’t have time for a boyfriend.”

Or maybe she already had her heart set on somebody else.

“How many kids do you have?”

“Two. My youngest is wheelchair bound.”

“Is their father present?”

Kgomotso’s question struck a nerve because the foreboding look Macy sent her way was meant to shut her up and she did just that.

“My husband was murdered in the xenophobic attacks of 2013, so to answer your question no my children no longer have a father.”

She really put her foot in her mouth, asking that question and the tears, flooding Macy’s eyes cemented Kgomotso’s guilt.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“I’ve made peace with it.” Macy shrugged.

She has never known peace since that fateful day because the image of his lifeless body was still vivid in her mind, ten years later.

“I should get dinner started.” She moved away from the island and got a pan out.

“I’ll take care of dinner, so you can leave early.” It was the least Kgomotso could do after her faux pas.

“Do you know how to cook paella?” Macy asked.

Kgomotso didn’t but she was sure there was an easy recipe on the internet she could follow.

“Yes, I do.”

Macy didn’t look convinced but wasn’t going to turn down the chance to leave early and be home before her boys returned from school.
                                                                    ***********