68

His heart leapt to his throat.

The earth momentarily shifted from its axis and time lost all meaning.

Mobility waned in his legs and air migrated from his lungs with agonizing speed when he found her laying on the floor and unresponsive.

"Kgomotso?" He knelt next to her, cradling her head on his lap and was relieved she still had a pulse. Losing her would be his worst fear coming to life.

He checked her phone for any clues but there was nothing out of the ordinary except an international number at the top of her call log, which lasted for 8 minutes.

"Baby. vuka. You can't do this to me." His voice was thick with unshed tears and the unfolding emotions left him overwhelmed.

He checked her pulse again and tried shaking her but all he got was a resigned sigh from Kgomotso. It was something but not enough to restore his peace of mind, he was going through hell.

"Please, open your eyes if you can hear me, baby."

His desperate plea was met with silence and he was convinced that sigh was a figment of his imagination. He couldn't lose her, not now. They still had to get married, have their baby, move into their new house and live the rest of their lives, loving her without reservation.

"What happened, Anesu?" Jabu came rushing towards them, concern evident in her brisk movements as she tried to examine Kgomotso herself. He didn't see her coming, too busy lost in his ocean-deep thoughts with no way of making it to the surface.

"I don't know. I found her like this."

"And you didn't call for help?" She threw her hands on top of her head, breathing like she trekked up a mountain in those heels.

He didn't think of that, logic escaped him the moment he found her laying on the floor.

"I'll tell Tinashe to get the car ready, get her up, we need to go Anesu."

She talked while walking and expected him to act with urgency but he couldn't seem to snap out of his trance, life without her was a bleak prospect. And Jabu was not happy to find him in the same spot when she returned, acting like the world was coming to an end.

"Anesu, snap out of it."

He blinked a few times and his brows gathered in a frown as he looked at her, but it would take a lot more to intimidate her, Jabu didn't cower easily, which was something he truly admired at that moment because he needed an anchor.

"Kgomotso needs help and we won't get it with you standing there, doing nothing. Hurry up, Tinashe is waiting."
********

She came to at the hospital, disorientated and hooked to the IV, the lights were dimmed allowing her eyes to adjust quickly but the loud heart monitor unsettled her. With the little knowledge she had from watching various medical dramas, it sounded normal and didn't warrant any need for concern, but her mind always had to bring up the worst case scenario.

Her panic subsided once she realised her fainting spell didn't cause any harm to her baby, but that wasn't the last of her problems because she still had to decide what to do with Petersen's confession, and nothing brought her comfort because none of it would bring Kamo back.

Anesu was sitting on the chair with his upper body slumped over the bed, snoring. Kgomotso didn't have the heart to wake him but she was thirsty and eager to find out if she'd be going home tonight. He jumped at the slight touch on his head and his eyes got wide when they landed on her face.

"Baby?"

She managed a faint smile, there was no need for him to hear her gruff voice because he'd already been through enough.