49

Thandeka sent the roses, she didn’t bother to cover her tracks so it was fairly easy to trace it back to her. What was unclear though was whether she acted under Xola’s instructions or her own free will.

A ride or die chick was what they call women like Thandeka who blindly follow a man over a cliff, in the name of love. That could never be Kgomotso she was too sensible to act foolishly for a man, at least that’s what she believed before Anesu swept her off her feet. It was easy to be caught up in the spell that preyed on your common sense and eight years down the line you’re left with nothing but a broken heart. Not leaving Xola soon enough would always remain her greatest regret.

Churchill used his well versed connections to get her a protection order after the police claimed the roses weren’t enough evidence to perceive Thandeka as a threat. Her emotional well-being wasn’t considered when that decision was made, because she drove to work looking over her shoulder the following day.

It was nice of him to offer assistance even though she couldn’t return the favour, he didn’t ask any questions about Kamo or the baby but there was still some residual tension from their last encounter.

Telling Lwazi would’ve been a blunder and there would be no coming back from ruining her sister’s life but widen the rift determined to keep them apart. 

It was a Sunday and church seemed like the right place to go because she grew up in church and did all churchly things like attending: Sunday school, Confirmation classes and even joining Wesley Guild. But life in a fast city like Jozi pulled her away from church and the never-ending drama unfolding in her life was like a curse sent to doom her for an eternity and rob her of the opportunity to fully enjoy her newfound happiness. It caused her the most pain, knowing that Caroline was the centrepiece of her troubles.

The sermon was uplifting but long because Black preachers were famously known for keeping congregants hostage.

Her grumbling stomach forced Kgomotso to leave mid-sermon and right before Sunday collection because she couldn’t spare another minute, waiting for a hymn to break out and make her escape. The looks sent her way were the kind Christians reserved to pass down judgement onto the less favourable, making the walk from her seat to the door feel worse than the walk of shame.

Thoughts of food vanished from her head when she reached her car and found a message from Caroline.
                                                                *********  

Pigs might fly, she thought, looking up into the blue sky scattered with shapeless clouds. Kgomotso didn’t think Kamo would swallow her inflated pride and come back to apologise to her, it was a once in a lifetime occurrence and the reason why she ignored her reservations and showed up.

Caroline appeared by the door ready to welcome Kgomotso, with a fixed smile on her face. “You look nice.”

“I was at church.” She didn’t want Caroline thinking she came dressed up for their meeting.

“Come in, your sister is already here.”

It was unlike Caroline to break eye contact, she could stare down anybody without blinking.

Kgomotso was ecstatic to see the dinner table laid with a feast of seven colours and almost forgot the real reason why she was there. As per Woolworths standards the roast chicken looked moist and tender, and her stomach approved. Kamo already had a plate in front of her and was halfway through finishing the generous piece of drumstick.

“I thought I told you we have to wait for your sister.” The irritation on Caroline’s face came through in her stern tone.

Kamo rolled her eyes after letting out an impatient sigh. “Until when? I’m pregnant and can’t control how and when I eat.”

Something about the way she talked didn’t give Kgomotso the impression that an apology was coming, and she also looked like someone who didn’t want to be in Kgomotso’s presence. Caroline was up to something and based on her track record it was nothing good.

“Don’t mind her, it’s the hormones. Get yourself a plate and dish up. I’m so happy you came, I know our conversation didn’t go well the last time we spoke but I’m going to fix all of that.”

Kgomotso quickly complied and sat down to eat, the only thing missing was a nice glass of wine to go with the meal. She sat across from Kamo and they both stared at each other expectantly without saying a word.

“Isn’t this nice? The three of us spending time together,” said Caroline.

Kamo frowned and her neatly trimmed brows stayed in place. “So you called us here to pretend? I’m not here for a reunion, I want Kgomotso to apologise like you said she would so I can be on my way.”

“No.” Caroline slowly shook her head. “You owe your sister an apology, this has gone on long enough and I want it to stop right now.”

Her brusque laugh lacked humour and only seemed to grate Caroline’s nerves, for her plan to succeed Kamo had to stop acting like a spoiled brat. Caroline realised her approach the first time she went to Kgomotso’s office was abrasive and Kgomotso needed to be handled with care because of her fragility, it was the only way she would get her 10%.

“What changed? Because last week you were on my side.” 

“This is not about sides, Kamohelo.” Caroline squeezed her hand, reassuringly. Like I said Kgomotso and I had a talk and I realised that we can’t be part of her legacy if you two are always fighting.”

“So, you two planned this behind my back?” She stayed calm because throwing her toys out of the cot wouldn’t help things go her way.

Kgomotso pushed her plate aside, the mood wasn’t great the moment she arrived but it quickly turned worse and killed her appetite in the process. She once again managed to walk right into one of her mother’s traps, wide eyed and stupid enough to think Caroline would change for the better. They said a leopard doesn’t change its spots for a reason.

“No, I had nothing to do with this, Ma, came to me demanding 10% worth of shares that obviously didn’t go well and she saw it fit to put on this charade to get what she wants.”

“This is not the time to point fingers,” said Caroline, feeling unhappy that her plan was going off the rails and was also about to lose her well-deserved title of shareholder.

“I think now is the time to do so because you know all of this is your fucking fault.” Kamo pointed her perfectly manicured finger at Caroline. “You should be the one apologising to us because you taught me to treat Kgomotso the way you do, you are the reason we have a rocky relationship, so don’t start acting like you care now because that’s all bullshit.”

The critical spark in her unforgiving eyes pierced into Kamo with savagery intent, she had no choice but to brace herself for the coming onslaught.

“You should be the last person to tell me that nonsense after everything I’ve done for you. Do you think I married your father because I love him? I made that choice because I wanted the best for you.”