46

She’d always known that Anesu was from an accomplished family and meeting them reinforced that notion, but she didn’t let it get to her because she was quite an accomplished woman herself. Making partner was no small feat regardless of the fact that she got the position because of Anesu. Despite feeling intimidated she was able to hold her own and not make a complete fool of herself.

Jabulile was a human rights lawyer, she studied at Wits and went on to obtain her Juris Doctor at Harvard Law School hence she spoke with a twang. Throughout her career she worked closely with NGOs advocating for human rights across Africa and the world, and ended up in New York working as a Human Rights Officer for the UN.

Mam’khulu studied at Fort Hare alongside Makaziwe Mandela, a fact she highlighted with pride, after completing her degree she moved to Soweto and became a History teacher and working under the oppressive Apartheid regime led her to become an activist.

Before she became the formidable Celiwe Dlomo-Luthuli all she dreamed about was becoming a beauty queen and grace the cover of Drum magazine. She entered Miss Soweto after her 18th birthday and almost won but coming second didn’t crush her dream. Her mother wasn’t supportive because being a beauty queen wasn’t a respectable profession nor did it guarantee a sustainable career, she had no choice but to study nursing.

Her involvement in politics happened by chance, she accompanied mam’khulu to a rally on a scorching December day in Orlando. The ANC was still banned at that time and any form of gatherings conducted to push the liberation movement were illegal, so the church was a safe place to meet without rousing suspicion from the police. Bongeziwe was one of the speakers and she fell in love the moment she saw him standing in front to address the agitated crowd. She joined the ANC that day and soon after they were inseparable, her mother didn’t approve because Bongeziwe was older and married before.

Being married to one of the most idolized political figures wasn’t easy but she was able to make her own mark, and served as ambassador to the U.S, Switzerland, Poland and Ghana post-apartheid. She published a few books and started the Robert Bongeziwe Luthuli Foundation in honour of her late husband.

She wasn’t good at reading people but was almost certain they liked her and the attention made Kgomotso feel like a brand new shiny toy all the kids wanted to play with. Dating rules may have changed quite a bit throughout the years but meeting the parents was still regarded as a stamp of approval.    

She helped Jabu clear the table, lunch was ujeqe with beef stew and honey glazed butternut, and for dessert they had vanilla flavoured crème brûlée.

“Haibo, sit down Kgomotso you’re a guest, do you want Anesu to think ill of us when he finds out about this?”

Hawu, why was she making a mountain out of a molehill? It wasn’t spring cleaning.

“I honestly don’t mind.” She smiled. 

“Cha, ntombi, hlala pantsi. You don’t have to worry about impressing us yet. Once you leave your father’s house with a kist to become my nephew’s wife that will be the day you start acting as a makoti when you come here.”

There was a moment of hesitation from Kgomotso because she wasn’t sure if mam’khulu was serious or testing her.

“What?” She took the plates from Kgomotso. “Did you think we were going to make you do all the house chores and dress you up in a pinafore just to prove you are wife material?”     

Yes, that’s exactly what Kgomotso thought and mam’khulu was a mind reader.

Celiwe chuckled, slightly shaking her head. “We’re not that old-fashioned, you know?”

Kgomotso managed a small nod, lost for words.

“Jabulile, woza I need you to help me put these dishes in the dishwasher.”

“Care for some more wine?” she asked, before joining her mother in the kitchen.

Kgomotso shook her head, it seemed like Jabulile’s mission was to get her drunk cause she made sure Kgomotso’s glass was never empty, and she was grateful because the alcohol helped with her nerves. But she needed to keep a clear head cause it was obvious she was being left alone with Celiwe on purpose and it made her anxious.

She turned her gaze to Kgomotso, with a poised smile on her face as soon as Jabulile disappeared from their sight.

“I’ve wanted to meet you since the day, Anesu told me about you because I could tell from the way he spoke about you that he loves you.”

Her smile put Kgomotso at ease, she may have hit the jackpot with Celiwe as her future mother-in-law because the woman didn’t carry a malicious bone in her body.

Mother-in-law? Kgomotso you are getting way ahead of yourself. Calm down.

“I love him, too. It all happened so fast but I wouldn’t change anything.”

“I don’t want it to seem like I’m putting too much on your shoulders but thank you.” She held onto Kgomotso’s hands, fighting back the tears. They were not tears of sorrow because her eyes were alight with joy.

“I never thought I’d see my son truly happy again after his divorce. It broke his heart and I was worried he’d let his bitterness consume him but he found you and you made him hopeful again.”

“I think you’re giving me way too much credit, Mrs Luthuli.”

Kgomotso was scared this would force her to live up to the expectations these people had in their heads for her relationship with Anesu. She was no saint therefore she was bound to make mistakes and she would feel better knowing they wouldn’t judge her too harshly.

“I know my son and I know that having you in his life has changed him for the better, no matter how long it has been and I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t acknowledge that.”

It felt good to hear those words because sometimes Kgomotso wasn’t sure her presence made a difference in Anesu’s life, not that he didn’t assure her but her mind played cruel tricks.

“I feel like I’m the lucky one because I’ve never been loved the way your son loves me.”

“Are you two living together?” asked Celiwe.

Kgomotso dropped her gaze. “Yes.” She answered in a low voice. “But it’s only been a few days.”

Celiwe smiled, patting her hand. “I was young and in love once too, so I understand. I know you’re both adults but don’t let him get comfortable. Anesu has to do right by you now that you’ve both decided to take this step, and don’t hesitate to come to me when he steps out of line, my door will always be open for you.” 

“Thank you.” Kgomotso hoped she really meant it and wouldn’t use this as an opportunity to meddle in their relationship like Caroline freely did with Kamo’s marriage.

Her ringtone interrupted their tender moment, it was Anesu and Kgomotso wasn’t sure whether to answer or ignore it.

“I should have put it on silent,” she said, as they both stared at the screen.

“Answer it, he’ll only get worried if you don’t and start thinking we didn’t get along or something like that.” She stepped out, giving Kgomotso some privacy.

She didn’t think Anesu would’ve dumped her if his mother didn’t approve of their relationship but it was certainly refreshing not having to deal with that kind of drama.

“Anesu?”

“Baby, you took longer than usual to answer, is everything okay?”

He was worried about small things when there was so much going on in the world, she thought.

“Yes, everything is fine, you can calm down now.”

His sigh was followed by a nervous chuckle. “So, I don’t need to come there and rescue you from mam’khulu and Jabu’s endless questions.”

“No, I’m fine you can put your cape away.”

“Should I come and get you now?” He tried his luck because she didn’t sound like someone who was in a rush to leave.

“Ha a, Anesu. I’ll let you know when I’m ready to leave and Jabu promised to share some juicy stories.”

“Don’t believe anything she tells you.”

“I’ll still love you no matter what she tells me,” she said.

He would never tire of hearing those words from her. “Good, because you’re stuck with me.”

“I’ll see you later then.”

“Okay, baby.”
                                                                 **********