76

Kgomotso was happy to hear from Nomonde before they left Stanger because the first 24 hours of separation were tough, but it was a relief to know that her baby was in good hands. She had to remind herself that having Khanya was temporary because Lwazi would come back for her eventually and break Kgomotso's heart.  

The clinic unveiling was well attended because the Premier arrived with his entourage and ward councillors along with the Mayor couldn’t miss the photo op. Kgomotso didn’t attend because pregnant women didn’t gallivant according to Anesu’s aunt who was actually his father’s cousin.

She wasn’t nervous about meeting Anesu’s family because most of them were at the funeral but that aunt wasn’t impressed with her because they arrived after sunset yesterday. She had her own version of Sthembile to deal with but Anesu didn’t let her face the heat alone.

There was no time to rest when they got to Durban and Jabu went straight to the venue because there was a dinner gala to get ready for, and Kgomotso was left to deal with her wardrobe crisis alone. The dress she brought was suddenly small and didn’t fit her like it did a week ago.

“Baby?” Anesu gently knocked on the bathroom door before entering. “Baby, what’s wrong?”

She was sitting butt flat on the floor, wearing a bra and panty with her legs spread out, staring at the dress while tears ran down her face.

“Everything,” she said.

“I can’t help you if I don’t know what’s wrong.”

“Oh? Let’s start with the fact that you got me pregnant! Now, this dress doesn’t fit me and my breasts are leaking.”

He ducked his head, dodging the dress in question as she threw it in his face.
“Haibo, why are your breasts leaking?” he asked, coming closer because he had a death wish.

Wrong question!

She got on her knees and balanced on the toilet seat to get up, he came by her side to offer assistance.

“Don’t touch me.” Kgomotso pushed his hand away.

“I’m trying to help, don’t be stubborn.”

“I’m being stubborn?” Her lips wobbled as she sat on the toilet.

He sighed, taking a step back and folded his arms across his chest, looking like a disapproving parent. “What do you want me to do?”

She couldn’t escape his stern gaze and shame took over once her anger simmered down but it was too late to take it back, the damage was already done she could see it on his face.

“I asked you a question.”

Kgomotso cleared her throat, staring at her thick fingers which didn’t look as good as they used to with artificial nails. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for my emotions to get the best of me.”

“Okay,” he said, before walking out of the bathroom since she couldn’t muster the courage to look at him.

It took a considerable amount of effort to stand up and follow him. “So, you’re just going to leave after I’ve apologised?”

“Yes, I need to get ready because today is very important to my mother so I don’t have time for your nonsense.”

His words were a dagger to her heart because he knew she didn’t act out on purpose and instead of being understanding he was quick to crucify her.

“I know it’s important but what am I supposed to do because I have nothing to wear.”

“You’re a big girl, Kgomotso, I’m sure you’ll figure it out.”

“Bathong, Anesu.” She was on the verge of tears again as he turned his back on her and left the bedroom, at least he didn’t slam the door they were at his mother’s house and Kgomotso didn’t want her to find out about their quarrel.

Jabu was not back from the venue and Vincent was in another province, meaning her chances of finding something decent to wear were slim. She was ready to go back home but had to stay because Khanya’s ceremony was tomorrow and wouldn’t give Sthembile the satisfaction of missing it.

Kgomotso didn’t move from the bed when the door opened because she figured Anesu was back and her energy was depleted for another fight.

“Kgomotso?”

“Oh, Ma?” She jumped from the bed, mortified to be standing in front of her future mother-in-law wearing her bra and panty, while Celiwe was the epitome of elegance in a royal blue ball gown adorned with exquisite embroidery.

“Were you expecting somebody else?” Her fixed gaze trailed the length of Kgomotso’s body.

She could easily evaporate under Celiwe’s intent gaze, it bore holes right into her soul. “Y-y-yes, I thought you were Anesu.”

“He went to the mall to buy breast pads.”

Kgomotso didn’t find that hard to believe because that was the same man who bought her sanitary pads at one point.

“You’re not dressed?”

“Eish. Please, excuse me.” She hurried into the bathroom and came back covered in her robe. 

“I meant you’re not dressed for the gala.” Celiwe tilted her head.

“Oh.” Kgomotso fiddled with her fingers. “M-my dress is too tight but I was going to call Jabu to help me find something.”

Celiwe’s brows gathered in confusion. “Jabu is getting ready at the venue, didn’t anyone tell you?”

Oh, fucking great!

Kgomotso shook her head. “I’ll ask Anesu to buy me a dress at the mall.”

“Cha. I love my son but he is clueless when it comes to women’s fashion, there’s someone I know who’ll be willing to help.”     

Kgomotso sat back down, facing the balcony. “Thank you, Ma.”

“Tell me what else is bothering you.” An inviting smile graced Celiwe’s lips.

“Anesu tries to put up with my hormones but it gets too much for him sometimes and I end up not knowing what to say or do because it only seems to make the situation worse.”

“He doesn’t hold it against you.”

“Honestly, that’s hard to believe, Ma. I can be very difficult sometimes.”

“I know it is but I’ve been here before, and I remember how unbearable I was during my pregnancy with Tinashe and my husband’s absence didn’t make it easy for me.”

“I can’t imagine not having Anesu by my side especially in the last couple of weeks.”

“The circumstances were different back then. For my safety, I had to flee to Mutare via Mozambique because the police were always after us and Bheki’s reign of violence only made the police relentless. The last straw was when they came in the middle of the night, Bongeziwe wasn’t there so they took me instead and being pregnant didn’t stop them from beating me. I had no family with me the day I gave birth and I cried like a widow on a day that should’ve been the happiest of my life.”

She always wondered why they had Shona names but never thought to ask.

“I’m sorry you had to go through that, Ma.”

“The struggle was not in vain because my grandson will grow up in a country that won’t discriminate against him.”

“So, you know we’re having a boy?” Her hand instinctively went to her stomach.

“Yes, Anesu can’t keep a secret from his mother.”

That would have to change cause he can’t tell his mother everything that happens in their relationship, it might force her to pick sides in the long run.

“Have you thought of names?”

“Not yet. I want to meet him first so we can decide on a suitable name.”

“I spoke to Anesu about naming him after his father.”

Over her dead body. If they did that Kgomotso's father would also expect his name to make it on the birth certificate.

She took a calming breath to reel in her composure. “Anesu didn’t mention that to me.”

“That’s okay, we still have time to talk about it,” she said, getting on her feet. “I’ll go and make that call then.”

A quick shower might tame her seething temper.
                                                                  *********