13

“Ta-da!” Hazel exclaimed and stepped back to examine her handiwork.

Kgomotso opened her eyes and stared at her reflection in the mirror and was impressed with what Hazel had done. She loved how the bronzer made her skin shimmer and the contour made her nose more pronounced. She looked different, almost unrecognisable but it was a good different because Hazel was right, eyeliner made her eyes pop. And the coffee-coloured lipstick complemented the golden shimmer and Kgomotso couldn’t stop marvelling at herself.       

“Yho, chommie the suspense is killing me, do you like it?”

“I love it, Haze. Thank you.” Kgomotso smiled.

“You’re going to knock his socks off.”

“You think so?”

“Of course,” said Hazel, clearing her brushes and make up and tossed it in a bag she kept in the boot of her car. “You’re beautiful, chommie, take a good look at yourself.”

“Eish, I’m just so nervous and I don’t know why.”

“Relax. You’ve already seen each other naked, so there’s nothing to worry about.”

Kgomotso blushed, the red hue invaded her face until she had to look away from the mirror. That was the part she was most looking forward to, seeing him naked, manhood throbbing and ready to ravish her.

“Help me choose something to wear, I can’t make up my mind.”

“What would you do without me?” said Hazel already making her way towards Kamo’s wardrobe.

“Completely helpless.” Kgomotso rolled her eyes.

“I still can’t believe your sister left everything as it is, did the new house come with a fully stocked closet?”

Kgomotso fiddled with her hair, trying to pull off a suitable hairstyle. “Something like that,” she said.

“So, chommie, I can help myself to her shoes, mos.”

“Only one pair though.”

“Hawu! Chommie.” Hazel looked at her with pleading eyes.

“Okay, fine, take two then.” She settled for a sleek top knot and took extra care with her edges, it would go well with any dress she chose.

“Dankie, chomz.” She flashed a wide smile and pulled out three dresses, placing them on the bed. “Where is he taking you?”

Kgomotso shrugged. “He didn’t say.”

“Come and pick between these three, it’s almost 7 and you need to finish getting ready.”

“Okay.” She turned away from the mirror and carefully assessed the three dresses, she knew Hazel didn’t choose more options because she’d have an even harder time deciding.

“This one is too revealing.” She pointed at the backless plum dress in the middle.

Hazel frowned. “No, it’s not. It’s sexy and you should show some skin that man hasn’t seen you for almost a week, you’ve got to entice him, get him so hot and bothered that he ends up chasing you out of that restaurant when it’s time to leave.”

“Bathong! Hazel.” Kgomotso laughed.

“You know I’m right, go get dressed. My work here is done, I need a glass of wine to prepare myself for a lonely night in my king-sized bed.”

“Isn’t Sanele joining you?”

“Sadly, no. I had to cancel him because I missed my appointment.”

“Go check in the kitchen, I still have a sealed bottle.”

Hazel rushed out, leaving her to get dressed she wore gold earrings and matching heels, looking in the mirror one last time, she was impressed with her effort. The dress was flattering on her body and even though it was a bit tight around her curves, she was certain she’d survive the night. She sprayed her perfume and took a few calming breathes to steady her heart, she didn’t need to faint before the date even started.            

“Hai, chommie you need to invest in better tasting wine cause I know this cheap stuff tastes diluted,” Hazel shouted from the kitchen.

“But I like that cheap stuff.” Kgomotso protested.

Hazel shook her head still not convinced about consuming it. “Then keep it for you and not your guests.”

She quickly grabbed her purse and jacket at the sound of knocking at the door and hurried to the kitchen, while trying to look poised. Their eyes locked the moment Kgomotso appeared and his smile ceased her erratic breathing and she suddenly wished they were alone and didn’t have company.

“Hey.”

“Hi.” Her voice sounded breathless.

He was dressed in a grey suit, black shirt with no tie and looked mighty fine with his clean shaven head. His kiss was sweet but way too brief and left her wanting more, but she knew he didn’t want to ruin her lipstick.

She nudged Hazel, stopping her from undressing Anesu with her wandering eyes.

“Hi, I’m Hazel,” she said and offered him her hand.

Anesu gave her a brief but polite handshake. “Nice to meet you, Hazel.” He smiled.

“My friend here doesn’t have a curfew, you can bring her back anytime or better yet take her home with you.”

“Hai, Hazel, stop embarrassing me.” If they were alone she would’ve slapped her big mouth already.

“Hawu, chommie.” She opened the bottle of wine and poured a glass.

Anesu seemed amused by her antics but Kgomotso wasn’t. She’d deal with her later now wasn’t the time.

“Shall we?” he asked, holding out his hand.

“Yes.” She placed her hand in his, eager to leave before Hazel embarrassed her any further. “Please lock up and leave the key under the flower pot outside.” 

“Goodbye lovebirds.”

Hai, futsek. Kgomotso glared at Hazel.

They made it outside and Anesu led the way to his car a Bentley Continental GT this time. How many cars does this man have Kgomotso wondered.

“Was it your intention to drive me crazy with that dress? Because it’s working, you’re hella sexy and I love it,” he said, his arm now around her waist.

The compliment warmed her heart and she almost begged him to take her to his place instead, but she couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be wined and dined by him. This was their first proper date and she was looking forward to it.

“You don’t look too bad yourself.”

“That’s because I have you.” He gazed deep into her eyes and his desire was clear to see, he’d be chasing her out of that restaurant before dessert even came.

He opened the passenger door and helped her get inside and made his way to the driver’s side.

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” He smiled before stealing a kiss from her lips.
                                                                         *********