41

“One more round?”

Kgomotso stared at her half-empty glass and slowly shook her head, the bartender was heavy handed with the tequila on her third cocktail, a fourth would leave her on her knees and crawling out of Tiger’s Milk. 

“I think I’m tipsy.” She giggled, hiding behind her hands.

“Do you want to get out of here?”

He wasn’t feeling the corporate gang, crowding the space looking to unwind after a long day of hard work. He was ready to be alone with Kgomotso between the sheets and have her legs wrapped around his waist, he still needed to return the favour after the amazing head she gave him yesterday. His penis strained against his pants, thinking about everything she did because she deserved a 5 star rating.

She dropped her hands and looked him square in the eye. “Where are you taking me?”

“Home.”

It was a long day, he was worried the mention of babies would ruin it but it turned out better than he expected. They went shopping after lunch, Kgomotso didn’t get a chance to pack a change of clothes and the stifling heat was too much to be walking around in jeans. After watching her change into countless outfits they cruised along Victoria road, enjoying the scenic drive and each other’s company with the ocean on one side and the mountain range on the other. It was only right to end their perfect day with sundowners at Tiger’s Milk. 

She leaned across the table, teasing him with a view of her cleavage.

“What are we going to do when we get home?”    

The suggestive look in his eyes gave a hint of what was on his mind, it was the same look he had when she walked out of the changing room with the dress she had on.

“I think you know the answer to that.” He smirked, pulling out his wallet.

She giggled, feeling the effect of the tequila go straight to her head.

“No.” She twirled a strand of her Peruvian hair around her finger, staring at him through her long lashes. “I want to take a romantic walk on the beach and watch the sunset.”

“I have no problem with that.” He summoned a waiter and paid their bill.

“Whoa.” She quickly held on to the table after a dizzy spell that almost sent her toppling over.

“Are you okay?” He was by her side faster than she could blink.

Had anyone told her she’d find a man who loved her without reservation like Anesu did and wasn’t afraid to show the world, she would have called them a liar.

She nodded, taking off her shoes. “There was too much tequila in my last cocktail.”

“Come.” He wrapped his arm around her waist and held her close.

“Wait, my shoes.” She covered her mouth but that didn’t stop her loud burp.

“I’ve got them.”

They made it outside and crossed the road to the beach. The setting sun bathed the sky in a variation of orange shades, which resembled a fire in the horizon even the ocean couldn’t escape it. The magnificent view was something out of a world class travel magazine and it was no wonder why European tourists fled their harsh winters for this piece of paradise.

“Do you still think we should’ve gone home?” she asked, tilting her head to welcome his kiss.

He sighed, a smile not far from his lips. “I mean the view is nice…but the one with you under me is amazing I have to say.”

“Anesu.” She laughed out loud, ignoring the disapproving look from the elderly woman walking her dog on the beach. “Someone might hear you.”

“There’s no-one around.”

That wasn’t true and the woman with the dog looked at Kgomotso like she was walking around with a scarlet letter on her forehead.

“Thank you for today, I didn’t realize how much I needed it.”

“Anything for you, baby.”

She stopped in her tracks and looked at him. “How’s your brother doing in rehab?”

He got so caught up in taking care of her that he put his feelings last. She didn’t care about Tinashe but would try her best to make Anesu feel appreciated.

He stared out into the distant waves and his shoulders instantly tensed up at the mention of his brother. Tinashe was upbeat during their last phone conversation but he knew better than to get his hopes up.

“Good. Dr Kingsley is happy with his progress.”

“What about you? Are you happy?”

He shrugged, trying to ease the tension pent up in his broad shoulders. “I don’t know how to feel.”

“Why not?” She frowned, confused by his earnest confession.

“I’ve been down this road many times before and it always ended with Tinashe drowning at the bottom of a bottle.”

“I’m sure it’ll be different this time.”

He looked sceptical. “Maybe. I just don’t want to start celebrating until I see him cross the finish line and stay clean.”

“I understand. You feel like it’s only a matter of time before the other shoe drops.”

“Yes, and it’s hard to harbour such feelings for my brother because I see the work he’s putting in.”

She stared at her knotted fingers, troubled by her unrelenting thoughts. “How were you able to forgive him every time he messed up?”

A wistful smile shaped Anesu’s lips. “We learned to rely on each other from a young age, so I just couldn’t turn my back on him like everybody else when he needed me the most. I didn’t have it in me to let his addiction erase all the good he’s done for me, I love my brother flaws and all.”

There was no reason to doubt his words because what he said showed on his tender expression and a part of her was envious.   

“I love my sister too but we have a complicated relationship because everything is always a competition with her and if I don’t agree with her on something I’m automatically jealous. I can’t keep nursing her feelings forever when she clearly doesn’t give a damn about mine.”

“Do you really think that’s how she feels?” he asked.

“Yes, Anesu, I do because I know her.

“I think you should talk to her, does she know you moved out?”

“No.” Kgomotso shook her head. “I won’t be the first one to extend the olive branch not this time.”

“They call it being the bigger person,” he said, caressing her cheek.

“No, let me be petty for once.”

His frown deepened but he didn’t say anything else, maybe because he knew nothing would change her mind and this was something he believed they could fix with a conversation.

“Let’s not let this ruin our day.” She dropped her purse and scampered to the shoreline with her arms stretched out and screaming in delight, he was amused by her childlike wonder but made no attempt to join her.

“Aaah!” She shrieked, running away from the water. “It’s so cold, why didn’t you warn me?”

“It’s the Atlantic Ocean, baby,” he said, unable to hide his smile.

She frantically rubbed her feet, trying to get them warm. “I know, I just didn’t think it’ll be that cold. Yho!” She slightly shivered.

“Let’s go home.”

“Please, stop laughing at me.” Trying to sound stern didn’t work on him.

She was never having tequila again.
                                                        **************