64

Anesu came striding into the bedroom after missing dinner due to a business phone call with Andrews, there was an opportunity in Dubai, which Andrews was eager to pursue. Anesu was just as eager but taking on a project that would require plenty of travelling made him pause because he didn't want Kgomotso to feel neglected, and the impending renovation for their new house was another reason he couldn't jet set to another continent every two weeks.

"You're still up?"

Kgomotso looked up from her book and smiled. "I was waiting for you."

"Sorry, I took so long. It's hard to get Andrews to stop once he gets excited about making money."

She raised her face to welcome his kiss. "It's alright, your food is in the oven if you're hungry."

"I'll see to it tomorrow."

He tugged at the hem of his polo neck and peeled it off his body as he walked into the closet, unbuckled his belt and stripped naked.

"Would you like to join me for a shower?"

"Nah, I'm still reading."

"I'll wash your back." He peeked through the doorway and wiggled his eyebrows.

She turned to the next page, pretending not to notice his erection. "That's nice of you but I'll pass."

Her mind was still back at the hospital, seeing Kamo with Khanya brought up feelings of inadequacy she battled for a long time and even when she won they returned, reminding her of her lacking worth.

"Are you okay, baby?"

"I don't think so." She sniffed, closing the book and tossing it aside.

He quickly got dressed and sat next to Kgomotso, pulling her onto his lap. "What's wrong? Talk to me."

"You're probably going to think I'm stupid because I don't even understand why I'm feeling like this." She giggled but it came out strained and didn't put Anesu at ease.

"Is it because I missed dinner?"

"No, it's not you." She sighed, resting her head on his chest. "Ever since we came back from the hospital I've been feeling like I'm not well prepared for this baby and that scares me because I don't want to fail."

"Why do you feel like that, did something happen?" His attentive eyes were laced with concern while his mind took off in a sprint. He attributed Kgomotso's silence in the car to her little tiff with Sello because he put the Justice matter to bed and hoped it was enough to stop her asking any more questions.

She found it difficult to articulate her feelings without sounding jealous or irrational, would he even understand? He seemed to be less tolerant where her hormones were concerned because they made her unbearable.

"I guess watching Kamo raised a lot of questions in my head, she was in her element as if she'd done it before and did everything with a confidence I wish I had."

"I think you're being too hard on yourself, baby. I'm scared too because this is new to us and we will make mistakes along the way because even these books can't fully prepare us to become good parents. I won't expect you to soldier on alone because I'll also play my part and I promise to always have your back."

"Does that mean you'll help with diaper duty and wake up in the middle of the night when the baby cries?" She was sceptical.

"I absolutely will."

"Before you start burning these books you should know that according to some of them we should start preparing the nursery."

He kissed her forehead while lacing their fingers together. "Okay. We'll work on it, there's no need to panic because your baby daddy got this."