Chapter 26 - Trapped in the Elevator

It's been 5 days since his breakup with Zhan and the weekend is upon him. Yibo wondered about himself that he had really managed to completely avoid Zhan, Alessia and his other friends for five whole days. It was very difficult for him and he had to call himself to order again and again when his eyes wanted to wander back to Zhan. But somehow he managed and now he was looking forward to the weekend.

Much to Yibo's delight, he would not spend the weekend exclusively at the academy this time, but in the city. He would finally participate in a competition that had nothing to do with the Keno Academy and for which he would have to spend the entire weekend in a fancy hotel downtown. He received the invitation for it on Wednesday from the director, who handed him the papers personally.

He had immediately talked to his uncle about it right after he received the documents. He checked everything and agreed that Yibo should take part in the competition. He told Yibo that he would put some men there to watch over him. Although Yibo was not really comfortable with this, because he just wanted to get away from all of this and behave and feel like a normal 19 year old again, he also knew that it would be safer. After all, caution is still better than indulgence.

In the afternoon, Yibo finally made his way to the hotel and was impressed with his large room on the 9th floor. A big room in a four star hotel with full board and even everything Yibo would take from the minibar would be paid for by the host. That's how he imagined heaven.

After a two-hour rehearsal in the late afternoon, Yibo had time for himself and his own activities. He decided to go downtown for a bit, do some shopping, and maybe have a cappuccino with lots of foam and cream somewhere. Or maybe two?

He put on his favorite clothes, a pair of black skinny jeans and a beige knit sweater and headed for the elevator. He got into the elevator, the doors started to close and suddenly someone put his hand between the doors, they slid open again and Yibo thought he didn't see right. How was he supposed to avoid Zhan when they were in the same hotel and just in the same elevator?

Yibo took two steps back and stood in the corner of the elevator. He was so nervous that he even forgot to breathe and coughed violently when he remembered it. Zhan turned to him and looked at him with concern. "Are you all right?"

"Don't talk to me!" Yibo replied, still coughing. The elevator doors slid shut and now the two of them were in the elevator together. And there was no way out.

"Okay, whatever you say. I was just worried."

"You don't have to be. Worry about yourself."

"I do."

"Good."

Zhan looked deep into Yibo's eyes and replied, "I know you're mad at me. And rightfully so. But do you really have to be like this?"

"What am I like?"

"You're mean."

"I'm mean? Lying to someone for weeks, or even months, that's mean!"

"You know that I'm..." Abruptly, Zhan stopped as the elevator suddenly bucked violently.

"What the hell was that?" Yibo asked with his heart racing. For a moment, he felt like the elevator might crash into the ground.

"I don't know."

"I..." Yibo winced as the elevator stopped with a sharp jolt. The lights went out and a small red lamp came on. "Don't tell me we're stuck in the elevator."

"Looks like it." Replied Zhan. He pressed the alarm button several times in succession, but nothing happened.

"This is not good. For sure this is your fault Zhan!"