Chapter 43 - Stormy Birthday Party

Yibo continued to secretly keep an eye on Xian Chu. And the longer he watched her and thought about her actions, the greater his suspicion of her became and more and more doubts about her sincerity spread through him. What was it about her that bothered him so much? Was it the lie of the day before? Or because of how badly she treated Zhan?

No, neither was the reason Yibo didn't trust her. It was more because of everything she had done since the day before. Who was the guy who took her to this party? And why didn't any of the other guests seem to know him? Weren't only very well known or famous people invited to this party?

Why did Xian Chu go inside? Why was she listening at that door? How did she know where to go? Does she know the house? Why did she jump out of the window? Couldn't she have told the doormen she was still in the bathroom before it was forbidden to enter the house? And why was she so hateful toward him and Zhan?

Yibo wondered if perhaps he should address Zhan on all his unresolved issues? But was now really the appropriate time to do so? After all, Zhan was keeping an eye on the other guests and the front entrance. And right now, they have very different things to worry about than Agent Xian. Because they still have no evidence of the illegal dealings of the politician and his wife. And they also still don't know where the son of the two is being held captive and by whom.

He was jolted out of his thoughts when Zhan nudged him lightly in the side and asked, "Do you think it's gotten colder in the last hour, as well? And the wind has gotten a lot stronger too."

"Huh? Oh yeah you're right." Yibo replied.

"What's wrong with you?"

"I don't know. It feels kind of weird, don't you think? This is supposed to be a birthday party for the politician, but he's only been here in the garden once before, and that was only very briefly. Besides, no music has been played for an hour. Guests are chatting, drinking champagne and eating some snacks, but it doesn't look like anyone is celebrating here."

"True. To be honest, I've been wondering what kind of party this is, too. Take a look around this place. There must be about 50 people here. But at most a handful are really famous or well-known. There's that musical star. Then there's Wen Rouhan, the head of the big corporation, and his two sons. Behind us is a famous pianist. And then here you are, the Worldwide Famous Idol."

"And number 9 on the Most Wanted list of criminals."

"Yes, but he didn't necessarily gain his fame in the good way."

"I get it, ZhanZhan. Who else is a criminal?"

"A few. But they're not nearly as famous as Number 9."

"I see."

"The rest of the people, mhhh, they're kind of all unfamiliar faces to me. It may be that I haven't been in the country for 5 years, but I was still well informed."

"As was I. So you don't know the guy Agent Xian came here with either?"

"No, I don't know him. Unfortunately, no one wears a name tag. And earlier in our round, we didn't ask for people's names. They were way too busy asking you questions, though."

Zhan turned once in a circle and his gaze fell on the garden gate. "The gate is closed."

Yibo spun around as well. "What does that mean?"

"Nothing good I suppose. No one is allowed in the house and the garden gate is closed. Apparently they don't want anyone leaving the party."

"Should we go see if the gate is locked?"

"Better not. We should keep a low profile."

"Then you two should keep your voices down. And the gate is locked." Replied someone behind them. Zhan and Yibo turned to the person, startled. "Oh oh yes, I'm He Peng and I have no idea why I was invited here."