Chapter 25 - Agent Xiao

POV Zhan (A/N: a little glimpse into the life of Zhan).

Zhan and Cheng were sitting in the bug-proof room at their unit's secret base waiting for their boss, Captain Chu Luong. It's Monday morning and by now they should have been in training at the Keno Academy keeping an eye on their target, but their boss called them into their base of operations for an urgent meeting.

Without bothering with pleasantries, the boss came into the room, stood in front of the large monitor that was mounted on the wall and was more like a large screen, and asked, "Which of you can remember the name Lan Qiren?"

Zhan raised his arm, "Lan Qiren or more commonly known as Chameleon, worked for 40 years as a secret agent and spy for a secret special government unit. All of his missions were successful. He got his nickname because he was so changeable and was never exposed in all those years. Very few even know what he really looks like. There was no picture of him in our textbooks. There was only a question pointing to his appearance." He explained.

"That's right Agent Xiao. What else do you know about him?" The boss wanted to know.

Cheng spoke up. "Well, he retired about 10 years ago. Not much else is really known about him."

"That's right Agent Xiao 2."

"Boss? Could you please not call me Xiao 2 all the time?" Cheng wanted to know annoyed.

"No. You're the younger one. So you're Xiao 2."

"Great."

"Enough of that! We have more important things to discuss than your name."

"Yes sir."

"So, the reason I asked you is because I got a call from the high command this morning and was told that Lan Qiren is back on duty. He and his unit will be assisting you guys on the ground. They will be working as guards there."

"Wait a minute. That means we are now working not only with the Special Victims Unit and the DEA, but also with this secret organization?" Asked another agent.

"Yes."

"Why? Do they think we can't handle it?" Asked the same agent.

"No one has said that. It's probably more of a personal interest of Lan Qiren's. His nephew is going to the academy and..."

"Who is the nephew? Do we know?" Asked a female agent. She really winced as the boss looked at her angrily. "Sorry sir. I didn't mean to interrupt you."

"Then don't do it either. And yes, we know who the nephew is. I think Zhan and Cheng know him very well. The person in question is Wang Yibo. I think he went to see his uncle yesterday and asked for his help, regarding Alessia Milan. Lan Qiren is well informed about the Milan Mafia and immediately contacted his former employers and demanded that he should be reactivated in the service and that he should be deployed in the front line to protect his nephew. Agent Xiao 2, you are friends with him. Did he mention anything to you that he suspected Alessia? Or did he talk about his uncle at any point?"

"No sir. Nothing like that. He and Alessia hate each other. From the beginning, all they ever did was fight." Explained Cheng.

"And why? Do you know?"

"Well, I think because of Zhan." Said Cheng, turning all red.

"Agent Xiao? What does that mean?"

"Alessia is a very jealous person and wants unlimited attention from me. Which is why she tried to isolate me from all the other students from the beginning. She noticed that Yibo is interested in me because Cheng is friends with him. She didn't like that at all, so she started to provoke him all the time..." Explained Zhan.