Chapter 22 - An Abandoned House

Two full weeks passed, during which Yibo and Youn were incessantly on the lookout, watching Zhan around the clock, with the help of Emily. But nothing much happened, as Zhan did not leave the campus once during those two weeks. This seemed really strange to Yibo. After all, he had left the campus at least twice a week for a month and stayed overnight outside.

Emily suspected that either Zhan had no business outside, or that Zhan had taken the argument with Yibo to heart and didn't want to provoke another fight. But neither Yibo, nor Youn, nor Emily knew what the real reason was. And Yibo didn't feel like asking Zhan why he didn't leave the campus anymore. Especially not after he had made such a drama out of Zhan leaving the campus again and again.

What Yibo did know, however, was that Alessia hadn't left campus in those two weeks either. And that caused Yibo to have doubts again. Had Zhan really only ever left the campus because of Alessia? Or had she left for Zhan? And as before, Zhan continued to be by Alessia's side from morning to evening, and even stood beside her several times when she had arguments with other students. Even when she was clearly in the wrong.

But aside from these things and his ever-increasing jealousy of Alessia, Yibo had really enjoyed the nights with Zhan. They talked, made love, and fell asleep cuddling. Almost every night, Yibo would lie awake a few minutes longer after Zhan had fallen asleep and look at the sleeping Zhan. He wished that they could always be like this with each other, and not just at night.

And then Saturday morning came. Yibo and Youn were together in the cafeteria. They had just come from breakfast and were about to go for a jog when they saw Zhan leaving the campus together with Cheng. Hastily, they hurried after the two. Close enough to them not to lose sight of them. But far enough away not to be spotted by them, they followed the two.

Zhan and Cheng walked up to a small supermarket and stayed in the parking lot for a few minutes, looking around and around before getting into a black SUV. As the two drove close to Yibo and Youn, Yibo saw that Zhan was at the wheel of the car. Now it was definitely certain that Emily had really seen the two and that she was not mistaken.

Luckily for them, a cab was just coming and Youn waved it over. They told the driver to follow the black SUV and the driver then said with a laugh, "I've been waiting for someone to say that sentence to me for 10 years!" Then he drove off and they followed Zhan and Cheng. And as it turned out, their cab driver was very skilled at following a car unnoticed. Because they managed to follow Zhan and Cheng without any problem until they reached a deserted area, where the two of them drove their car into a gateway of an old abandoned house.

Since they couldn't stop and get out directly in front of the house, they dropped off at the street corner. They carefully crept up to the house and the gate entrance. But because the gate was closed, they couldn't see in to the yard where the car was probably parked. And they couldn't see where Zhan and Cheng had gone.

What the two did see, however, was that on the house, there were three cameras. One pointed at the gate entrance, another at the house entrance, and the third pointed at the street and the sidewalk. "This is an abandoned house. Then why are there so many cameras here and what are Zhan and Cheng doing here?" Youn asked in a whisper while Yibo tried to look in one of the windows.

"I have no idea. The whole area here is deserted. It looks like no one has lived here for years." Yibo replied, pointing in to the window.

"What's that?"

"Looks like part of the ceiling collapsed."

"You know what that reminds me of?"

"No, what?"

"Of horror movies. No normal person would stay in an abandoned building that's already collapsing unless they had something to hide."

"I get it. But what exactly are you saying? That Zhan and Cheng are murderers and that this is where they have their hideout, where they commit all the murders?"