Chapter 46 - Future plans

A/N: Hi, unfortunately you had to wait a few days for the update. I had to repair my keyboard first. The o had been defective. But now it works perfectly again and I can write again.

One moment Zhan and Yibo were excited after learning that they were not busted because of Agent Xian and could continue to investigate the politician and his wife, and the next moment they were thrown a big step backwards in their investigation and couldn't be happy at all.

They were just about to turn off the computers and head to Yibo's apartment when an agent came rushing into the office completely out of breath and told them the following: "Politician Jing and his driver were found dead in their car about two hours ago. The car was parked on a forest road with the engine still running. Both were shot in the head at close range. A walker who was making his rounds there with his dog in the evening discovered the car on his way into the forest. When he came back and the car was still standing there with the engine running, it seemed strange to him. He knocked on the driver's door, but the driver did not respond and did not seem to hear him at all. He was afraid that the driver was unconscious. So the walker opened the driver's door and shook the driver's arm, which then tipped to the side. Frightened, the walker called the police. Meanwhile, the walker also discovered Politician Jing after the emergency call center asked him to also check the back of the car to see if there might be any injured people."

Zhan and Yibo were speechless and sat down again. The boss stared in horror at the agent for a moment and finally regained his composure and ordered, "Grab your partner and head to the coroner's office. Since this is obviously murder and a high politician at that, there will be an emergency autopsy. You guys stay there and report back to me afterwards what the coroner said. Send Agent Won and his partner to Homicide to join them and report back to me later. Send Agent Jackson and Agent Kwon to help with forensics. Agents Xiao and Yibo? You two go home now as planned. I'll see you again tomorrow at noon. Then we'll discuss the details and plan our next steps. For now, there's nothing we can do but wait for the reports."

"Yes boss." Replied the agent and hurried to communicate the boss's orders to the others and get to his work. Zhan and Yibo also nodded and went on their way.

As they sat in the car, they didn't speak a word. They just didn't know what they should have said. To them, it all seemed like a bad joke. A moment ago, they were making progress in their investigation, finding out how the politician could afford his expensive birthday party when he had no money. They discovered that Mr. Jing received a cash gift for making sure that a certain previously unknown shipment was not inspected by customs.

The cash gift, clearly a bribe, amounted to the high sum of 10 million yuan. (Almost 1.4 million US dollars)

With this money, the politician's business partner ensured that a large shipping container could enter the country unchecked by customs and be picked up by its recipient. Although Zhan and Yibo were still completely unaware of what had been smuggled into the country, if the business partner was willing to pay Mr. Jing such a large sum of money, it could not have been a small matter.

Actually, Zhan and Yibo wanted to go to the harbor the following day and ask the crew of the container ship where the container came from and who picked it up. Because according to their investigation, Mr. Jing himself was at the port and talked to the customs officials on the spot. Which probably means he bribed them.

"I honestly never thought this case would get this big. I thought we would just have to find the son and find out what the politician and his wife were up to and how they made their money from the illegal business. But I never thought it would be this big." Said Yibo after they arrived at his apartment and sat down on his sofa.