• Chapter 1 • Red Code •

A new day arrived to New York, the city smelling like rain, like morning coffee. Thanks to Tessa, Catarina, Ragnor, Harry and Magnus and their magic, the Institute started to rebuild on its own, slowly, but not stopping a second.

Despite that, Harry couldn't more excited for being a part of it and spend his time there.
Well, there and other places too...

-You must be the first one apart from Clary and Simon that enjoys being here.

Luke chuckled at the same time that he placed some books in the correct place, while Harry was totally immersed in one book, sitting on a chair. The warewolf knew how powerful books were, how capable of dragging someone into their worlds and make them lose track of time, he couldn't blame Harry for not paying attention to him.
Actually, he was glad he found his comfort place in his old bookstore.

After a while, Luke patted his shoulder, startling him.
Bookworms also needed doses of reality.

-Tea break? I'm gonna open the bookstore in half an hour.

-Sure.

Harry smiled and stood up, carrying the book with him.
Just the smell of paper, the sound of it, the texture, how every word tangled and narrated wonderful stories, pleasantly hynotized him.
Luke and him got along well and Harry, somehow, felt closer to Tessa with him and at that place.

Soon, a reassuring tea scent invaded the room. Matt hated the tea Luke prepared, but Harry loved it as much as he loved that bookstore.

-Really, I can't believe that all of this is yours. -Still amazed, Harry looked arround, wondering how many books could be there.

-People buy them, so they are not exactly mine. But yeah, it's a nice place. -Replied Luke, as he watched the shelves too. Harry noticed the smile on his face, quite nostalgic. -Clary's mom encouraged me to start this business. -Now the Shadowhunter understood the reason behind that grin.

Clary told him about her mom, about what happened, Harry comprehended why both her and Luke loved that place so much.
Stories that books narrated were mesmerazing, just like the ones people told. Harry wanted to know every of them.

-Mundane jobs are not as tedious as we think. Come on, you're surrounded by millions of different worlds, stories and characters!

The passionate way Harry had for speaking about books, was something Luke liked, he also chuckled in a tender way.

-Then why don't you come here when you can and work with me? I'm getting old, kiddo, I need someone to take care of the place. -Before Harry could answer,  Luke kept talking. -No pressure, just think about it.

-I will, for sure. -Harry couldn't help but smile even brigther, while pressing the book against his chest. New York and its people never ceased to amaze him.

At that moment, they heard a knock on the door, from someone they would definitely not waiting for.
Harry carefully left the book next to his tea cup and went to open.

-Alec, hi, need something? -Receiving Alec with a friendly grin, Harry let him in.

Quite awkward, the Shadowhunter nodded, entering the place.
He had been there few times, but enough to know he would find what he wanted.

-I know you're not opening yet, but can I search for a book?

-Sure, take your time. -Luke grinned, patted Alec's back before going to his office. He knew Alec was a book lover, but for sure he wouldn't like working there and treating with people so often.

Alec started to walk arround the bookstore, looking at every shelf until he found the one he wanted.
It was so awkward doing that, he even started to regret it, specially when noticing Harry curiously following him.