Chapter 20

Jay felt a moment of panic hit him as he heard Hank's question, then his heart sank. He wondered what he had to do to catch a break. Things were just starting to get real between him and Erin, and now her dad was about to take his head off over it. Jay figured he ought to be honest, though. If there was any path through this conversation that let him keep his job and his budding relationship with Erin, that was how to get started.

"I've slept with her once," he admitting, making sure his tone was as diplomatic as it could be.

"God fucking damn it!" Hank raged as he turned around and kicked his chair.

Jay had half expected Hank to come across the desk at him. At least that hadn't happened. It was a very inconvenient time to be someone who struggled to put his emotions into words, but he knew he had to find a way to speak up about his relationship with Erin before Hank's anger went any further.

"Hank, I get that you're pissed and you don't want to hear from me right now. But if I can please just tell you how things are from my point of view? I wish I was better a putting my feelings into words. What I'm trying to say is this is not what you might be thinking it is. It's not just sex. I'm not taking advantage of her. It's something deep and real between us, that neither of us expected when we started working together."

"There are two things stopping me firing you, dragging you outside and beating the piss out of you right now," Hank growled, locking eyes with him. "One is I can tell what you're saying is true. I knew it before you came in here. No one knows Erin like I do, and I've never seen her happier than she has been this week. There was only one reason I could think of for the sudden change, and that was something between the two of you. The second reason is I'm well aware that if I fight you both on this, I'll lose where Erin is concerned. She can be headstrong. If I tried to keep you apart, she'd move out of my house and continue seeing you anyway."

"I don't want to fight you," Jay said. "I don't want to make you angry, and I certainly don't want Erin out of your life. As I said, I never expected this to happen when I started working with her. But it has." Jay could see he was winning the boss over a little, so he upped the ante. "I'm looking you eye to eye like a man, Hank. I promise you I won't do anything to hurt Erin, ever. I'm not playing games, using her, or anything else negative you may be worried about. I'll always treat her the way she deserves to be treated. I give you my word."

Hank was starting to look more upset than angry. "She's better than dating wrestlers, Jay. She's better than this. Better than all of us."

"I know," Jay admitted frankly.

"I'm going to hold you to that promise," Hank said in a rather menacing tone. "Break it, hurt my daughter, I'll ruin your life. Are we clear on that?"

Jay nodded, knowing Hank meant it too. Apart from WWE, Erin was all Hank had in the world, as everyone knew. Being protective was only natural. "As crystal," he said seriously.

"Get out of here."

Jay wasted no time in heading for the door.

"Oh," Hank said, stopping Jay in his tracks. "Because business is still business, I booked you to win the rumble match tonight. You'd better not make me regret that, either."

"I won't. And thank you," Jay said before quickly leaving the office.

Outside, he walked away, keeping appearances up for those waiting in line to see Hank by not rushing down the hallway. He couldn't even think about the fact that he was going to win the men's rumble match. He had to go back to Erin and let her know that the cat was out of the bag.

As he walked, he considered that Hank's reaction was actually quite reasonable, all things considered. More reasonable than Jay had expected. The man deserved credit for wanting his daughter to be happy, even if it was due to a partner that he didn't particularly approve of.