Chapter 39

Jay wasn't sure why everyone at WWE used the term 'Wrestlemania weekend'. The company put on events from Thursday through Monday, which was a lot more than a weekend as far as he was concerned. This year, it was all taking place in Los Angeles, with the tag line 'Wrestlemania goes Hollywood'.

To kick things off on Thursday, there were the first three meet and greet sessions. Held morning, afternoon and evening on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the sessions allowed many thousands of fans to line up at the various stages in a huge convention centre in the hope of meeting one of their favourite wrestlers. For the top stars, like Jay, and this year like Raquel, a separate VIP ticket had to be purchased to guarantee a meet. Jay found it odd that his VIPs always sold out like hot cakes. Nearly two hundred bucks to shake his hand and get a photo taken, and the fans lapped it up. Naturally he didn't enjoy the experience at all, but he made sure to put a brave face on it, be nice to people, and try to provide them with value for their money.

The only person fans never got a chance to meet was Hank Voight, and this year, her first working away from WWE HQ, Erin was added to that list. The Voights were like wrestling royalty in that regard, although Jay suspected that if the decision had been Erin's she wouldn't have minded doing a meet a greet. But the situation was what it was.

Jay's meet and greet session was Friday afternoon, so he hadn't needed to arrive until Thursday evening. He and Erin had flown in together, having spent the previous night at Eagle's Nest. He was now sleeping there sometimes, and as he had expected, it didn't feel like home at all. He was hopeful that would change as time went on.

Another thing he had been hopeful of was that the airport might not be too busy with wrestling fans as a lot of them might have arrived already. He should have known better, he soon realised. At baggage claim, there were people wearing WWE merchandise everywhere. Most were either too shy or respectful to approach him and Erin, but some could not help themselves. The vast majority of fans were wise to the scripted nature of the show, so while they would boo and hurl abuse at heel characters during a show, they were excited and polite if they happened to encounter the 'real' people. Given what Jay thought of as the Voight royalty status, meeting Erin was especially exciting for them. There was also the fact that a lot of male wrestling fans fell over themselves to meet any of the sexy women they saw on TV every week, and Erin was definitely on that list.

One such fan approached Erin and Jay while they were trying to mind their own business near the baggage carousel, which was predictably taking an age to get started. The guy looked about twenty, and was wearing a Kevin Atwater hoodie.

"Hi, Erin? Could I be a huge pain and get a picture with you?" the guy asked timidly, but politely.

Jay sighed but kept his mouth shut.

"Sure. What's your name?" Erin asked, smiling at him. Jay got the impression that she wasn't faking it. She was enjoying encountering the fans. He supposed she was often shielded from it, so it had some novelty for her.

"Joe," the fan said. "I wouldn't normally do this, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't say hi to you," he said as he messed around with his phone, trying to get the camera app opened.

"Ah, that's sweet," Erin said. "Where are you flying in from?"

"Wyoming."

"A lovely part of the country," Erin said.

Joe finally had the camera ready. Erin smiled for the selfie, and Joe took it.

"Thanks, Erin. You rock. Hi, Jay. I'll leave you guys be."

"Hey," Jay said before Joe walked off, deciding politeness cost nothing. Joe didn't seem like a bad kid.

"I rock, apparently," Erin said, smiling at Jay.