Chapter 73

"I can't believe you've kept that thing," Jay said to Erin. They were in her office on the top floor of WWE HQ, and he was looking at the Tyrannosaurus rex skull on the wall. It was a genuine one, not a replica, bought by Hank several years ago, when this had been his office. Genuine or not, it was a hideous thing to have on an office wall in Jay's opinion.

"Leave Stan alone," Erin said playfully, sitting at her desk.

"Stan?"

"That's what dad named him. It would feel wrong to take him down or sell him."

"What kind of family am I marrying into?" Jay quipped.

"A pretty crazy one. This is not a new discovery for you."

Jay grinned. "That's true."

It was a few days after his breakdown, which was how he thought of it, in that hotel restaurant. He was feeling a lot better now, thanks as usual to Erin. She had gotten a recommendation through a friend of a friend for a therapist that Jay could see. Dr Kalinda Rai's services were expensive, but there wasn't a long waiting time to see her. Jay had an appointment set for the following week. The fact that he was kind of looking forward to it surprised him. It came down to the fact that he really wanted the help.

"What are you thinking about?" Erin asked, getting up and approaching him.

"Going to therapy," he mumbled. She saw every change of expression on his face and knew when he needed her. She was a truly remarkable person, and a better partner in life than anyone had a right to hope for.

"It'll be good for you, Jay. Please don't be worried about it. I'll go with you, and Dr Rai will help you. There's no doubt in my mind about it."

"There's such a stigma about going to therapy. I'm embarrassed," Jay admitted.

"Fuck the stigma," Erin said, putting her arms around him. "There's nothing wrong with getting help. It shows strength to do that, not weakness. You're a brilliant, strong, courageous, talented person, who was forced into believing he's broken and useless due to the behaviour of some appalling people. You are the only one who sees yourself that way, and that's what we're going to work on. We're going you see yourself the way you should, which is the way I see you, and Raquel, and Z, and my dad..."

"Your dad sees me that way? Come on," Jay said, implying that he thought she was bullshitting him.

"You think we'd be getting married if he didn't?"

That was a very good point, Jay had to admit.

Erin glanced at her watch. "You should head to the meeting, if you're still okay to do it?"

"I'm okay to do it."

Erin had asked Jay to come to HQ to join Kelly Severide in a meeting with Maya Mizrachi. She wanted the opinions of her Head of Talent Relations and the producer for the women's division on whether they thought bringing Maya back was the right call to make. If all were in agreement to move forward, talking to Hailey Upton would be the next step.

"Okay. I'll talk to you later then and get your thoughts on it. Love you," Erin said, and gave him a peck on the lips.

"Love you, honey. See you soon."

With that Jay left Erin's office, took the elevator down one floor and went to Kelly Severide's office. The door was open, and Severide was at his desk.

"Jay! What's up, man?" Severide said, getting up and greeting him with a handshake.

"Kelly. How are you?"

"Doing good. Have a seat. Before she gets here, what do you think about Erin wanting to bring Maya back?"

The two chairs in front of Severide's desk had been arranged so that they formed a triangular shape with his own chair behind it. It was a good setup to have for the upcoming three-way conversation.