Chapter 54

Mercifully, the amount of stress Erin was having to cope with had decreased somewhat. Instead, she felt frustrated. She was waiting to take over WWE, and in the meantime hoping to do a deal with Clementine that would see her stay with WWE. But, nearly two weeks after they had sat down together, Clem hadn't given any kind of feedback or made a decision.

Jay had gotten his elbow surgery a few days earlier. The procedure had been a success, but that still meant he would spend at least two months on the injured list. Erin knew it might end up being a race against time to get him ready to compete in January's Royal Rumble event. It wasn't ideal that she hadn't been with him for the surgery, but the doctor that WWE used was down in Florida, and Jay had expressly forbidden her from taking time off to go down there with him when she was already so busy. She hadn't liked it, but she had gone along with his wishes.

A few days after returning home, feeling down about being on the shelf and bored with not being able to work, Jay had suggested taking a weekend trip to Chicago to spend a day there. By his standards that was impulsive, so Erin had agreed, figuring a couple of days away from her daily routine would be nice. She wanted to continue making the most of whatever free time she could get before she became Chairwoman. When that happened, free time would be hard to come by, even at weekends.

"Here's the Uber," Jay said. They were standing outside of the hotel where they were staying in Chicago.

"Good. But you still haven't told me where we're going."

"You'll see when we get there."

Fair enough, Erin thought. She got into the Uber with him and tried to enjoy the ride. Jay didn't seem to want to say much, so she looked out of the window and took in the city.

"Anywhere here is good," Jay said to the driver about ten minutes later.

"Here?" Erin asked as the driver parked up. They were in what looked to be quite a seedy, run down area. With her privileged background, she didn't think she had set foot anywhere like it before. Realising it was likely to be somewhere that was important to Jay from his childhood, she cautioned herself not to say something that might offend him.

"That's right. I want to show you something," Jay said.

They both thanked the driver and got out, Jay moving carefully with his injured arm bandaged and in a sling. Erin took a look around. She felt glad that she had a leather jacket and gloves on, and not because of any kind of sexual excitement. She was glad that her Rolex was covered up, feeling that this was the kind of place that someone might mug her for it if they caught sight of it.

"This way," Jay said, heading for a small side street. "Don't worry, nothing's going to happen."

"I'm not worried," Erin lied, convincingly, she thought.

Jay laughed. "You say that as though I'm not looking at you. You're a terrible liar. Trust me, it's fine."

"Okay, I trust you," she said, taking his hand. That was not a lie.

Walking with him down the side road, Erin noted that Jay looked a little overwhelmed. This was definitely somewhere from his childhood, probably where he had grown up. She stayed silent, waiting for him to show her whatever he wanted her to see, or tell her whatever he wanted to say. A man walked past them who was obviously homeless. He smelled of piss and cheap alcohol.

They reached the end of the side street and took a left turn. As soon as they did, Jay stopped in his tracks, looking at an apartment building across and further along the street.

"It's... gone," he choked out.

Erin looked at him. "What's gone, honey?"

"I grew up in an apartment building right there. But not that one. It must have been knocked down and rebuilt."