Chapter 55

One addition that Erin had made to Eagle's Nest after buying the place was a hot tub, installed out on the deck that overlooked the jaw-droppingly beautiful valley below. It gave her and Jay the chance to enjoy their wonderful surroundings without being stuck inside the house, even when the weather turned cold as it was now.

Several days had passed since their short vacation to Chicago. Erin had grown closer to Jay on that trip. Somehow getting closer to him had been possible, which surprised her. Hearing about the harrowing abuse he had been subjected to had made her wish she could take all of that pain and all of those hideous memories away for him. But of course that was not possible.

Jay was currently inside the house, fetching them a drink. While she waited for him, Erin closed her eyes. The hot tub was very relaxing, and that made it feel amazing for her. Anything that reduced her stress levels was most welcome of late. Even now though, her brain wouldn't turn off from work.

She was feeling a lot of frustration in that regard. There had been no news as yet regarding when Hank would be signing over the WWE stocks to her. She and Jay were going over to Hank's place for dinner the next night, so she hoped there might be some news coming.

On the Clementine front, there was also no progress. Erin hadn't heard a word from her about the contract situation since the meeting where Erin had revealed that she would be taking over the company soon, and had promised to make positive changes. She really needed to know what Clem was thinking, so she resolved to make a phone call the following day and make contact. Keeping dialogue open was important.

"Here you go," Jay said.

Erin opened one eye as his arm came over her shoulder from behind, a glass of wine in his hand.

"Thank you," she said, taking the glass and closing her eyes again.

"You look very relaxed," Jay said as he carefully got into the tub with her. Erin knew he didn't have his bad arm in a sling, but it was all bandaged up so he had to make sure not to get it wet.

"I am relaxed. A lovely hot tub, an amazing view, a glass of wine, and my man. What more could I want?"

"An amazing view? You've got your eyes closed," he pointed out with a laugh.

Erin laughed also. "The view is still there. I'm just not looking at it right now."

"Maybe you could look at this instead?"

She opened one eye to see what he was talking about and got the shock of her life, so much so that she literally jumped. Jay was holding a little black ring case, opened, with a silver ring encrusted with white diamonds inside. "Jay, what's that?" she asked, sitting up straighter and looking at him.

There was a very nervous smile on his face. "It's a ring. I was trying to think where might be a perfect place, and I decided here was perfect. It's where we're both happiest. It's where it's just us and no one else."

"I think you're supposed to start by asking me as certain question, Jay," she pointed out, smiling. Somewhat getting over the initial shock, Erin knew what her answer was going to be. This wasn't the perfect proposal, but she didn't hold that against him. He was doing his best, and that was what mattered. His little speech showed that.

"Oh, right," he said, looking awkward for a moment. "Erin, you'd make me the happiest man in the world if you'll... Will you marry me? That's what I'm trying to say."

Erin couldn't contain a huge smile. She still felt surprised by what was happening, but she also felt on top of the world. "Yes! Yes, Jay, I'll marry you."

"Woah. I expected you to say no. Uh, should I try the ring on your finger?"

Giggling at his reaction, Erin stood up. "I'm going to get out of the tub first. Don't trust myself not to let it drop in there." She took a big hit from her wine glass before stepping out of the tub.