Chapter 61

"Rumours are spreading, honey," Jay said. He and Erin were in an SUV that had been waiting for them at the airport. Their driver had made good time, and they were almost at the arena. Jay was browsing Twitter on his phone, and had apparently discovered that people were already talking about Hank being out, and Erin being in, at the top of WWE.

The news unofficially breaking before she had a chance to tell the talent hadn't been what Erin had wanted. Now she was going to have to roll with the punches. She had a feeling she would be doing that quite a bit in the coming days and weeks.

She groaned in frustration. "So there's no telling what we're about to walk into."

"Hey," Jay said, putting a hand on her cheek and gently kissing her on the lips. "Whatever happens, you'll deal with it. It'll all work out just fine. If you need me to do anything to help, just ask."

"Thank you. As always, I couldn't do this without you."

"You could. But you don't have to. Love you."

"I love you, Jay."

The car drove past a small group of fans who had gathered at the top of the ramp leading to the arena's parking lot. Moments later, the driver parked up near the entrance to the building, got out and opened Erin's door for her.

"Thank you," Erin said, stepping out as Jay got out on the other side of the car. She had a briefcase with her, containing a few things that she expected to need in her office.

"Ma'am," the driver said politely. "Would you like me to bring your cases inside for you?"

"No, thank you. There's nothing in there I'm going to need until we go to the hotel."

The driver nodded respectfully. Erin was joined by Jay, and they made their way into the arena. It didn't take her long to notice that the numerous backstage crew members and the few wrestlers they encountered on their way to her office were already acting differently around her. There was more deference about them, and some unease from the wrestlers. They were no doubt wondering what kind of boss she was going to be, what direction the company would go in, and what it would mean for their careers. Those were understandable concerns. To try and put people at ease, she planned to have everyone on the roster assemble in a conference room so that she could address them.

Reaching her office, Erin walked in and found her personal assistant there waiting for her. A pretty, dark haired woman in her mid thirties by the name of Clara Strong, which Erin had always thought wouldn't have been a bad name for a wrestler, Clara had worked for Erin for the past several months. As of today, she was going to be with Erin at every WWE event she attended, as well as back at the office. Clara carried an iPad with her at all times, for note taking and accessing any documents that Erin might need, often from the creative team until today. Now, she was going to be a lot busier.

"Ms Voight," Clara said politely, well aware that Erin didn't like being referred to as ma'am. "Mr Halstead."

"Clara, how are you?" Erin asked.

"Hi," Jay added.

"I'm well, thank you. How are you?"

"Good," Erin said. "The first person I'd like you go and send for is Kelly Severide. Have him come see me straight away. Leave me with him, I won't need any notes taking. Why don't you grab us coffee, too?"

"Will do," Clara said, and with that she made her way out of the room, presenting Erin with what was likely to be her last moment of privacy with Jay until after the show later in the night.

"Severide?" Jay asked, wondering why speaking to the former wrestler and current commentator was her first order of business.

Erin took off the scarf she had been wearing, followed by her customary leather gloves. She put them on her desk. Her briefcase had already been set down on the floor beside the desk. "He's my first choice for Head of Talent Relations. As you know, I'm firing Kelton's ass tomorrow. Him going should make everyone happier, and will hopefully mean Clementine will sign a new contract. It'll be a weight off my shoulders when I've got that pen to paper, assuming I get it."