Chapter 43

Jay had watched the end of Raquel's match with Bayley Martinez from the production area. Hank hadn't minded a couple of people hanging around as it was the last match of the night.

As Raquel celebrated in the ring, now a Women's Champion for the first time, Jay looked at Zelina, who was standing beside him. She was biting her bottom lip and her eyes looked wet. He hadn't expected to see that kind of emotion from her, but he definitely understood it. He felt a little choked up himself, knowing what the huge win meant to his best friend.

"I'm so proud of her. No one deserves this more than she does," Zelina said. She was biased of course, but so was Jay.

"For sure," he said. "She killed that match, and she'll be a great champion once she had debuted the new character."

"It's a shame Erin couldn't be here right now. She spoke to Raquel and I earlier and said things have to be different at work now. She can't be seen to be favouring certain people over others now that her promotion has been announced. We both totally understand that."

"Yeah," Jay sighed. "It's a shame in some ways. But you know she's here in spirit. Erin adores you and Raquel. That's why she invited you to join us for a private party in our suite tonight. Do you think you'll come?"

"I'd like to. Let's see if Mami is up to it. She's the one who had a long match tonight."

"Good point," Jay said.

Bayley soon arrived backstage. The loser of a match almost always left the ring first, which gave the winner their chance to celebrate. As a former teammate in the Lethal Latinas, and a close friend, Zelina gave her a hug and congratulated her on a great match.

Jay decided that offering congratulations himself was probably the right thing to do. In the past he would have stood there and minded his own business, but now, thanks to Erin helping him to improve his social skills, he could do better than that.

"Great job out there, Bayley. You guys killed it," he said, feeling awkward about talking to someone he barely knew.

"Thanks, Jay," Bayley said tiredly. "You and Kev have got to follow it tomorrow night."

Jay gave a single laugh. "We'll do our best."

Shortly, Raquel came through the curtain. She looked overwhelmed by the biggest moment of her career, and had been crying. But she also looked badass, Jay thought, with the Raw Women's Championship belt over her shoulder. In accordance with tradition, Zelina allowed Bayley to go to Raquel first.

The two women hugged each other, and Raquel said something in Spanish. Gracias was the only word Jay understood, but he could figure out what was being said. He would be saying something similar to Atwater after their match tomorrow – thanking him for losing for him on the biggest stage of them all.

Mami was the only word Jay understood in Bayley's reply, or in what Zelina said when she stepped forward next and hugged her lover. But he started tearing up when Raquel burst into tears, easily picking Zelina up off her feet in a hug and kissing her. Their relationship was so close and so special, Jay knew he would have been jealous if he didn't have one equally as special himself. Thankfully, he had Erin in his life.

When Raquel put Zelina down, it was Jay's turn to step forward. "Thank you for being here," Raquel said, tears still rolling down her cheeks. She gave him one of her special tight hugs.

"Of course. How could I not be?" he said emotionally. "Congratulations, Mami. You were incredible out there, and you deserve this so, so much."

"Thank you. I love you," Raquel said.