Chapter 64

Ruzek walking out was the last thing Erin needed. But now, after sending Jay and Severide away, charged with the task of finding Ruzek and bringing him back, she told herself that she might have expected it from someone. Everyone on the roster had spent their entire WWE careers working for Hank. They owed him a lot, and some felt very close to him. She wasn't the only one hurting over what had happened, she had to remember that. For that reason, Erin decided to rule out going with the severest disciplinary responses available to her for Ruzek leaving a show after the call time. Being strict and authoritarian no doubt had it's time and place. This was not one of them, she thought, at least on the assumption that he returned quickly. If he stayed gone, he was in big trouble.

As it played out, Erin didn't get an update for nearly an hour. Walking out of the office where the writing team had set up for the day with Clara in tow, she found Jay waiting in the hallway for her. She made sure not to only be the boss around her man, and gave him a peck on the lips. "Hey. You get Ruzek to come back?"

Jay nodded as they started walking together. "Severide and I did between us. They're in your office. Hope you don't mind me telling them it would be okay to wait in there?"

"No, it's fine. Thank you for helping to sort that out for me."

"Of course. Erin?"

"Yeah?" she said, looking at him.

"If I can offer some advice? The gentle touch might be a better idea than the rocket up the ass. He's pretty upset."

"I thought the same thing. Don't worry, I'll handle it."

"You will," Jay said confidently. "I'll leave you to it. Going to spend some time in the locker room with the guys. Text me if you need anything."

"Thank you, I will."

With that, they reached Erin's office and she walked in, ignoring several people who were lined up outside, waiting to see her. They were going to have to wait.

"Sit down," Erin instructed Ruzek and Severide, who hadn't taken the liberty of doing so before she arrived. Her anger was obvious, but she didn't lay it on too thick.

"Ruze and I had a talk," Severide said as all three of them sat down at the desk. "He didn't mean any offense to you by walking out. It was an emotional reaction to an emotional moment."

Ruzek sat there looking down, avoiding making eye contact. He was clearly upset, and also possibly regretful about walking out. He well knew what a serious disciplinary matter it was.

"You might at least look me in the eyes," Erin said.

Ruzek did so, and found the courage to say what he was thinking. "This is bullshit, Erin. Hank deserved better than this. That man did so much for me, and for so many other people here. Now he's forced out of his own company, and we don't so much as get the chance to shake his hand and thank him? Fuck that. It's wrong."

"Are you done?" Erin asked evenly.

"I had to say what I think. This is not right."

"You don't know the full picture. In fact you're far from knowing half of it. The behaviour that was uncovered by the board investigation would have resulted in a firing from any business in this country. My dad was given the chance to retire instead, which was gracious of the board. I might add that you're more upset about this than he is. Hank's moving on to going into business with Mandy, and he's very much looking forward to that. In any case, you throwing your job away would achieve nothing. If you want to thank him, please do. Call him. Go out to the house. Do whatever you want, so long as it doesn't involve tossing your own career in the trash."