Chapter 60

The board meeting had started off unpleasantly, exactly as Erin had expected it to. Eric Bischoff had read out the results of the investigation into Hank's financial misconduct, using company funds to pay for non-disclosure agreements with multiple women, all allegedly revolving around sexual activity. Erin was at least spared having to hear any further details, as several board members spoke up to say that wasn't necessary.

"What is necessary, Hank, is that you need to go," Bischoff obviously took pleasure in saying. "Your presence as Chairman is now clearly and demonstrably harmful to the company. It would be better for everyone if we don't have to take a vote on it."

Erin made momentary eye contact across the table with Lucy Thorne. Both women were thinking the same thing: That son of a bitch had a big surprise coming his way very shortly, and it was going to be wonderful. Bischoff probably thought he had a shot at the top job himself if, or when, Hank resigned. Little did he know, everything had already been decided, and there was going to be no seat for him when the music stopped.

Hank was the one who got to drop the hammer on Bischoff's ambitions. "It's something I've already prepared myself for. Today, I'm going to sign over sixty per-cent of my WWE stock to Erin. This will obviously make her the principal owner of the company. I'm prepared to announce my retirement, not resignation, tonight after the markets close. This is on the condition that Erin will become Chairwoman in my place, and will also take on the role of co-CEO, along with Lucy. In practical terms, Erin will run the wrestling side of the business, while Lucy will run everything else, obviously answerable to Erin, and to the board."

Erin noted that while Bischoff looked like something had pissed in his coffee, the rest of the board either looked amenable to the idea, or like they already knew about it. It dawned on her that Lucy had been canvassing for votes to make sure the new arrangement was voted in. A vote against it was highly unlikely anyway, but getting the insurance was a smart move, and Erin was annoyed that she hadn't thought of it. Having Lucy by her side was indeed going to be useful. Erin knew wrestling. Lucy knew the cutthroat world of business.

"If that's what's going to happen, I don't see how I can remain a member of this board. I'll need to step down," Bischoff said.

"I think that would be best," Erin replied, allowing her diplomatic politeness to nonetheless convey exactly what she thought of the man.

"Very well," Bischoff said. He spent a few moments gathering his papers, said his goodbyes, and left the WWE boardroom for the last time. Erin felt so much better as soon as he was out of the door. She hadn't said a word to him in farewell.

For now, Hank was still in charge, so he was the one to get the meeting back on track. "Okay, it's time to vote. What we're voting on is that effective tomorrow morning, Erin Voight becomes Chairwoman and co-CEO, and Lucy Thorne becomes co-CEO."

A female board member spoke up, looking at Lucy. "Before we vote, can I ask what you're getting in return for this? I'm assuming it's not just a salary?"

"I'll be buying five per-cent of Erin's stock, once she's in possession of it," Lucy said. "It will make me the second biggest shareholder in the company."

"Makes sense," said the questioner. "I vote in favour."

"Everyone else, by show of hands," Hank requested.

Everyone's hands went up, some straight away, others slightly more hesitantly. Still, the result was what Erin had hopped for.

"Carried, unanimously," Hank announced. "Thank you, everyone. I'll announce my retirement this evening. Unless anyone has anything else, that concludes the meeting."

No one had anything to say. Erin had hoped someone might say something to thank her dad for everything he had done for the company, but she understood why they did not. His behaviour in having sexual liaisons with employees and using company money to hush it up had been appalling, and the board members were not emotionally attached to him as she was. The correct move for the company was to force him out, and that was what they had done.