Chapter 51

Getting the deal with Lucy Thorne done had lowered Erin's stress level dramatically, at least for now. On the flight down to Florida, she had been able to focus on enjoying Jay's company and looking forward to spending a couple of days with Raquel and Zelina.

"Do you think they've planned anything? Or will we spend the time chilling at their place?" Jay asked as they walked through Orlando airport with their travel cases towards the arrivals area. So far, they had only been recognised by a fan once, which was something of a relief.

Erin knew why Jay asked the question. His social awkwardness made him want to know exactly what he was in for ahead of time when he was out, even with friends. In this case, she couldn't help him.

"I know as much as you do, honey. But whatever the plan is, we'll have a good time. I'm sure you're looking forward to seeing Raquel outside of work."

"Of course I am," Jay said quickly. "You know I have been. But you also know how I like to have everything laid out before I do it."

"Yeah," Erin said sympathetically. There wasn't much else she could say. They headed out through the arrivals exit, and spotted Raquel right away, waiting for them near the airport's main entrance doors.

On the way over to meet up with their friend, Erin found herself admiring Raquel's appearance. It was something she often did when they spent time together. Being that tall, that well-built, yet still beautiful, was almost impossible not to be jealous of. But there was always a little something in the background with Raquel that intimated Erin. She had killed people during her time serving as an army combat diver, Erin knew, and it wasn't at all hard to imagine her doing so. Being friends with her felt a tiny bit like having a tiger for a pet – all good fun until the day it decided it was in the mood to claw your face off. She put those thoughts out of her mind. There wouldn't be any face clawing going on today. Having noticed them, Raquel had a warm, beaming smile on her face.

"Hey, guys! Great to see you," Raquel said.

Erin let Jay approach her first since he had the closest relationship to Raquel of the two of them.

"Hey, mami. Thanks for inviting us," Jay said, embracing Raquel.

"No, thank you for coming. Hey, Erin. Damn, how do you always look so good?"

"Oh, thank you," Erin said, smiling happily. They hugged each other. "I could ask you the same question."

Raquel laughed. "What, dressed like this? I've just come from the gym." She was wearing a t-shirt which she had cut the sleeves off, and a pair of jeans. Hardly stylish, but she looked good nonetheless.

"How's Z?" Erin asked. Zelina had become possibly her closest friend, and it was her who Erin was most looking forward to spending time with. Very different people from very different backgrounds, they had still somehow clicked in a way that had formed a special friendship.

"She's good. I think she told you she's got a media day today? She'll be home tonight, so you're stuck with me until then. I figured we could head home and chill in the garden. There's wine, beer, whatever takes your fancy. We can order food in, even go in the pool if you've brought anything suitable to wear?"

"Certainly did," Erin grinned. "Z sent a text last night and reminded me."

Jay said, "That all sounds good to me. Especially the food. I'm starved."

"Then this is an emergency. Let's go feed you," Raquel said, already enjoying playing hostess.

-----

Just under half an hour later, the trio walked into Raquel and Zelina's house. Erin couldn't exactly remember the last time she had been there. It had been too long that was for sure. She wished they lived closer to Eagle's Nest. Although one advantage of Florida was the weather. Even in October, it was still plenty warm enough to spend the day in the garden or the pool.