Chapter 50

Supportive as ever, Jay had taken an Uber to a bar in order to be out of the house before Lucy Thorne showed up for her dinner with Erin. Erin greatly appreciated that as three would have been a crowd when business needed to be discussed.

Lucy would be arriving any minute. Erin had asked her housekeeper, a young woman named Kayla Braxton who was a good cleaner and an even better chef, to prepare something nice for dinner. To compliment the meal, there would be expensive wine for the table. Erin had put on a smart black dress. She felt ready. As ready as she was going to get, anyway.

Just then, she heard the sound of a powerful car engine outside. The vehicle purred to a stop on the driveway. Erin had made sure the electronic gate at the bottom of the driveway had been left open for Lucy.

Remaining in her seat at the dining table, which Kayla had already set for dinner, Erin waited for her guest to be shown in. She heard a knock at the door, followed by Kayla going to answer it. She heard the two women's voices, and rose from her chair just before Lucy was shown into the open plan dining and living area. She made sure to smile despite her nervousness. A metaphorical game of poker might be about to start, depending how Lucy chose to approach this dinner and the deal Erin wanted to discuss. The first moments showed promise. Lucy walked in with a big, genuine smile on her face. Kayla had apparently taken her coat.

"Hello, Erin. Bloody hell, that must be some view you've got up here in daylight."

"Lucy. Welcome to Eagle's Nest." They shook hands. "Yes, it's breath-taking. I knew I was going to buy this place before I ever set foot inside the house."

"That I can believe."

"Please, have a seat." Erin motioned to one of the two places that had been set. They were opposite each other. Erin had thought that would be a better look than sitting at the head of the table.

"Thank you. What are we eating? I could eat a scabby horse."

Erin laughed at the joke as they both sat down, thinking once more that she actually liked Lucy. That was why she considered it vital that she would be her co-CEO and not one of the other board members.

"I actually don't know. But Kayla will be in with the wine any... ah, here she is."

Kayla entered the room with the wine bottle open and approached the table. She identified the wine and its year, then started to pour for Lucy.

"I'll have one glass. No more as I'm driving. I'll take water after this."

"What are you serving tonight, Kayla?" Erin asked the short, pretty woman with freckled cheeks.

"To start, Greek lemon chicken soup. Lamb shanks for the main. And my homemade cheesecake for dessert. I'll bring a pitcher of water in and some glasses."

"Sounds delicious, but I'm not a dessert person," Lucy said politely.

"With the size of Kayla's portions, that's not likely to matter. And I mean that in a good way," Erin said, not wanting to offend her employee, who she also happened to like.

"I don't like people to go hungry," Kayla said with a smile as she finished pouring for Erin. With that, she put the wine bottle on the table and left them to it.

Small talk ensued. Erin knew it was bad form to talk business until food was served. The conversation was mostly about Lucy's soccer team, Leicester City. Erin learned that they were not having a great time during the current season.

Kayla brought in the bowls of soup, set them on the table and left again. Lucy tried hers and gave her approval. Then it was time to get down to business.