Chapter 41: Invited Herself In

Ryota had returned from the party more confused than he should have been. Really, when he had stumbled upon the invitation, he knew it was only a formality. Like any other noble Athainian family, they didn't enjoy the new money crowding around their sophisticated selves. Still, he had opted to go since it was always a chance to make new connections. However, he had never thought he would run into the (h/c) haired girl, let alone in such a strange way. He was only glad no one had caught them meeting. The rumors would have been suffocating, but he was more concerned over what rumors were spreading about her.

Not a day in and there was already more than he could count. Of course, he hadn't been trying to look into the personal life of Yasojiro's fiancee - and he couldn't care less anyway - but the fact of the matter is that it reached his ears whether he was actively searching the rumors out or not. Before, he had considered the girl to be pretty smart, knowing she was able to get in on an academic scholarship to Drisless. Yet she had gone and presented her fiance with a pair of handcuffs in full sight of everyone.

Trying to distance himself from the thought, the green-haired male began checking his emails. Work wouldn't stop just because he was annoyed by stupid rumors. To put himself back in his routine comfort, the male lifted a cup of coffee to his lips. No matter the weather or time of day, it always cheered him up. Completely at peace, he sunk into his chair, also grateful for the lack of natural sunlight. He would have to tell his father how great the new windows were. Though they were best suited to be targeted at the wealthier clientele, they would definitely be popular for offices, too.

"Big brother Ryota!" a voice called out, followed by the opening of a door that brought most unwelcome sunlight, "You have a guest. That miss is back. She said she'll climb the fence if you make her."

"Oh...she meant it about coming here?"

"You know," Ayori huffed, pushing his tongue to the other side of his cheek before crossing his arms over his chest, "if a girl came here on her own for a date, the least you could do is remember it. Someone like you can't afford to be so picky anyway."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"If you don't know, then you're still hopeless, aren't you? Well, looks like Hotaka's opening the gate for her anyway, so you should get your butt over there before she gets stolen. Then, I'll be going. Bye."

As the mint-haired boy made his way out of the room, Ryota gave a huff. He had no earthly idea what his brother was talking about nor did he know why the (h/c) haired girl had even wanted to visit in the first place. It wasn't like he was good company, and he believed himself to have been rather awkward when talking to her. So her coming back for another round led him to believe it was a rivalry he wanted. Narrowing his eyes, he watched as she walked inside the front yard before he rode the elevator downstairs. If she wanted a fight, she was going to get one.

With a cold expression, he watched as the girl entered the greeting room alongside the purple-haired male. Ryota gave a tilt of his head as he looked at his bodyguard. He had little idea why he would take it upon himself to greet guests when it was his responsibility to be by his master's side. Otherwise, was he planning on shooting an intruder on the fourth floor from the ground? Truth be told, the older male didn't know much about weapons, so there could have been something that could have gotten the job done, but he still found himself frowning at the bodyguard.

Hotaka, however, didn't notice his boss's stare. He was more fascinated by the surprise visit of the (h/c) haired girl. After waking up with a hangover and a very confusing set of feelings, he was more than eager to make way for positive emotions. She always cheered him up, especially when she was away from the murderer posing as a harmless fiance. With excitement, he was lost in his mind, wondering what kind of fun things they could get up to, but he didn't quite realize he was staring very obviously at her face. It was as if he was expecting something, but the younger girl chose to ignore it.