Chapter 69: One Small Step

In his anger, the only thing Hotaka wanted to do was return to the new location the younger girl had been moved to. He wanted to be praised for standing up for himself and for making such a strong impact on the people around him. It was his hope that he would be comforted by her. She would have told him he did a good job and would have hugged him tightly to let him forget about the massive stirring of emotions inside of him. In fact, he was so eager to have such things that the phone ringing in his pocket went unnoticed by him.

So it was Shota who received the next call. Against the redhead's better judgment, he had gone and went to see the Akahito-in-law. After being suddenly cut off from his would-be spy, he didn't think the brunette would ever have the guts to dial his number. Yet he did, so the least the male could do was hear him out. Alongside with their previous history, no doubt he could make a decent pawn against Hotaka, should the militant ever decide to go against the redhead's better judgment.

There was a slight recall in the younger male's movements as he saw the brunette in front of him, behind bars. Oddly enough, his last name didn't seem to protect him from receiving a beating. It was almost a relief that Hotaka hadn't come. He probably would have gone just a bit more insane, probably enough to start thinking for himself. And that wasn't something that Shota needed to deal with while he was already struggling to find a way to make someone else sane.

Kenko wasn't just hit once or twice. His busted lip was just the start of his wounds, a few dozen bruises visible to the eye with, no doubt, more hiding under his uniform. The male looked like he was immersed in unbearable shame, but, despite that, he couldn't hide the clear pain he felt. His wrist, which he held limply in his other hand, had clearly been broken in some shape or form, and yet, obviously, it hadn't been treated. A lot of good being an Akahito did him there. Then again, when another Akahito had inflicted that injury on him, it was clear it would be ignored.

"You look like you've been thrown in the pound," the redhead mumbled, crossing his arms over his chest as he glared down at the older male, "Well, after running away from your previous owner, someone was bound to catch you and throw you in here."

"Thanks for your concern," Kenko responded sarcastically, filled with self-pity and heartache.

"Don't get me wrong. I do feel for you. I know how it feels to be abused by your family just as much as you do. I'm just wondering why you're so passive about it. It irritates me."

"Well, you've always been the official heir to your family. I'm just baggage."

The brunette's self-pity was almost contagious. There wasn't much that could affect the redhead enough for him to give someone kindness for free. In fact, the only one that could claim he did that for them was Nami. Even with the (h/c) haired girl, he had always subtly demanded something in return. Usually, it was affection. Either way, he disliked the way his heart was moved by the brunette in front of him, a male who reminded him very much of himself.

"That means nothing. My grandfather would have abandoned me if I sat around begging for my mother's love."

"You're such a pompous ass."

"I meant you need to prove yourself. It's not like Kazuya turns a blind eye to talent. And considering the bastard that hit you, don't you think you could do a better job? Get a grip and do what I did. Usurp him."

Kenko motioned to himself, particularly to the wounds plaguing his body. They were mild, but still made it very difficult for him to even open his right eye all the way, the swollen black eye one of the most painful gifts he'd been given by his "better". And yet, despite his implication that he would never be able to get off his feet to such a fate, Shota was not buying it. It just seemed like he was making excuses, waiting for someone else to save him, just like Hotaka. That is why Shota couldn't help but call them both "dogs".