Chapter 23: The Exalted, Noble Gentleman

The older man that stepped through the doors was perfectly poised, his posture straight and his gaze pointed. He had a very stern aura about him, but the servants that looked at him were delighted to see him return. So from that, the (h/c) haired girl had to assume he was a fair man to those who deserve kindness. Yet from the way he looked at the noisy and demanding pair across from her and Shota, he did not seem to feel that way about his own child. In fact, he was incredibly irritated by the sight of them, even shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

"So that's why there's such an artificial stench," he remarked, the redhead's mother giving a shocked look before smelling her wrist as if to check the validity of his statement, "My goodness, Shota, have your standards fallen so low? I had believed I taught you much better, my boy."

"Of course you have, grandfather. I was simply ushering these street rats out, don't you worry. I would never fail you."

The man smirked at the cruel words the male spoke, especially amused by the fact that he was referring to his own parents. Perhaps it was because the man was harsh to even those related by blood but the younger girl hid further behind the red-haired male. He gathered her worry, giving a small chuckle, but did the opposite of what she begged him for, pushing her forward to expose her to the man.

He gave a curious expression at the sight of a new face and tilted his head, murmuring something into Okura's ear. The ginger-haired man nodded and grinned before responding, finishing his statement with another bow. After processing what the caretaker had said, the man burst out into raucous laughter and stepped forward to hold onto the younger girl's hands, shaking them up and down heartily.

"It's a joy to meet you, Miss Shi - ," the man paused, presumably looking over at the red-haired male before continuing, "Well, it'll be Yasojiro soon enough, won't it? Welcome to the family, miss."

With a dizzy mind, the only thing that the younger girl could do was nod her head and give a nervous chuckle. However relieved she was that she wasn't given the same treatment as the redhead's parents, she still could not face the intimidating man so easily. It was likely true that he had been informed of her by Shota, himself, but she knew practically nothing about him even if Nami had elaborated a bit much earlier in her stay there.

"It's about time we have an accomplished young lady here! Working from the bottom up! That's a girl!"

The old man continued to laugh heartily but passed his sights onto speaking about her to Okura with whom he had a close relationship. For the time being, he ignored the two blocking the entrance, more so focused on the prospect of having a new member of the family. And while the man had adapted to life within the estate within a mere moment, it still stirred up a bit of confusion in the younger girl, wondering if he was always so cheerful. Or was it because he was overjoyed to finally meet her? The thought flattered her.

"Father," the other man coughed, the elderly man's expression reverting to a cold and blatant disinterest, "You have impeccable timing. I wanted to talk about the distribution of the family fortune."

"Shota."

"Father, hear me out - "

"Shota."

"But - "

"Goddamn, Itsuki, do you ever shut your flapping mouth?!"

A silence brushed over the foyer, most, if not all, staring on with awe and silently gaping at the tone used. Once more the (h/c) haired girl became afraid of the man, hiding behind the redhead and shivering. That time, he didn't push her towards him, understanding her fear and the origin from where it came. Instead, he pet her hair, attempting to stifle that fear until he could make up for it.