{30}

I walked up to the ragedy house in the back alleyway of California. I stormed into the house. Brendon didn't try and stop me. I opened the door, slamming it open. Daphne ran downstairs, fear built in her eyes and Brendon walked over to comfort her, closing her ears. I kicked the things on the floor around, "where the fuck are ya, Shawn?!" I yelled loudly through the house. I peeked around, not a sight of him around. I walked to the back door, spotting him on the ground. I swung the door open and ran down the porch steps. I bent down, grabbing Shawn by the shirt and slapping him. His eyes fluttered open and then fear glazed over them, "surprise, motherfucker. Sleep well?"

I let go of his shirt and shoved him on the ground. I kicked him and he groaned, "c'mon, get the fuck up."

He rolled around on the ground and I kicked him again, then picking him up off of the ground, "listen you coked out motherfucker. You better sober up and it better be quick, 'cause I'm takin' your ass to court and I'm going to get custody of Daphne."

He looked at me, furrowing his eyebrows, "you can't take my fuckin' daughter from me! You got no proof that i'm a bad father!"

He slurred his words and I knew he was drunk. My hand clasped his shirt in a fist and I was inches from his face, "i've got loads of shit on you, Shawnie boy. Enough to send you to jail. Then you'll never see Daphne. Neither will Rachel if that son of bitch is still alive."

"Rachel's dead." Shawn uttered. I shoved him away from me and jerked my head back.

"What?" Daphne's little voice rang through my ears. I turned around quickly and Brendon was already embracing her. I covered my mouth. The sight of seeing Daph sobbing her eyes out over something she never knew, made my heart shatter. I turned around to Shawn and pushed him. Tears welting in my eyes,

"you're telling me that you made that little girl...that eight year old pick you up from the lawn when you were drunk off your ass? She literally dragged you in from the snowy ass ground so you wouldn't fuckin' freeze to death! She adored you, but you were too fuckin' high to see that!"

I was at my witts end. I cocked my hand back and punched him. More than once. Until my hand showed an ounce of blood. I heard footsteps running over to me and force pulled me away from Shawn. I took deep and heavy breaths, "not here, honey."

I shoved Brendon off of me and walked past Daphne. I shoved the screen door open. Taking pictures of everything that could give me custody of her. Walking into every bedroom, lifting every mattress. I turned the whole house upside down. Making sure I got everything. I sat down at the table, rubbing my hands over my face and taking a deep breath. Daphne walked in and I motioned that she could sit on my lap and she took the opportunity. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed the top of her head, then resting my chin on the same spot, "i'm here now. Nothing can happen to you anymore."

"You'll win, right?" Daphne asked and looked up at me,

I moved her baby hairs out of the way and caressed her face, "i'll make sure I win. For you."

===================

I stood in the court room. Shawn stood at the table next to us. I took a deep breath. My hair was in a slick back pony-tail. I had a full face of makeup on and wore an all black suit. Compared to my uncle's shitty last minute outfit. I stood with my hands behind my back, "i'm Judge Keller. I'll be the one who eother grants or doesn't grant the custody. Please state your government names."

"Joanne Margaret Urie."

"Brendon Boyd Urie."

"Shawn Kennedy Jackson."

Anxiety rushed through me and I took a deep breath.

"Okay. This plea was made by Mrs. Joanne Margaret Urie and Mr. Brendon Boyd Urie to Kinship Mr. Shawn Kennedy Jackson's daughter, Daphne Helena Jackson because of drug and alcohol addictions. Is that correct, Mrs. Urie?"