Good News or Bad News

Two Years Ago

Florence POV -

March 10th 2020

883 days have passed since my friends vanished. I have, in fact, kept track. The days become increasingly difficult. sitting around, unable to accomplish anything. The cops insist that they are in complete control of the situation. Every week, I call to check whether they've heard anything or found anything, and I always get the same response.

"Miss Pugh, If we have found or heard anything you'll be the first to be contacted".

Every time I go check on everyone to make sure they are okay, it kills me. Although they claim to be taking each day as it comes, I knew in my heart that it was slowly killing them. I prepared for the day by getting up early. Just as I was going to turn on the kettle in the kitchen, my phone rang. Jeremy's name appears on my screen as I yank it out of my pocket.

Florence: "Jeremy, if you're ringing me to tell me—"

Jeremy: "Flo."

Florence: "about Avenger's"

Jeremy: "Florence-"

Florence: I'm not doing it!"

Jeremy: "Florence!"

Florence: "until they-"

Jeremy: "FLORENCE!"

Florence: "WHAT!?"

Jeremy: "It's about the disappearance."

Florence: "Continue."

Jeremy: "They won't tell us anything until everyone gets here."

Florence: "Okay, where's here?"

Jeremy: "Colin's house."

Florence: "I'll see you in five."

When I released the breath, I didn't realise I was holding on; the phone turned off. It took me a while to move, and I was relieved for some reason, thinking that perhaps this would be it. At last, they located them. I locked everything up and grabbed my car keys and suitcase. As I sprinted to Colin's house, I saw that there were already a pile of cars parked everywhere. I made the decision to park on the next street and go there to walk. I slammed the door shut and put the gear in the park.

I shifted, walking the pathway towards their front entrance. I gave two knocks. Rose appeared as the door slowly opened. She has developed so much; she is taller every day, and her speech is getting stronger. I'm sure Scarlett would cry if she could see her, given how much her baby girl has grown. She smiled a little and threw herself into an overwhelming hug. I was a little enraged when I realised that everyone was in the living room but Y/n's family, but I'll talk about that later. Colin entered with a stack of phones and two police officers. All I saw was an empty hallway when I turned the corner to see whether any of them were present.

Officer: "You are aware that your friends have been missing for almost three years. We regret to inform you of both good and bad news. Which one would you like to hear first?"

Anthony: "Good news is always good to hear first."

Officer: "Well, the phones we held onto for some information to track their locations and so on are now yours to take back, as well as the necklace and the hat we found."

Cobie: "That's great. I guess I'm still confused why, but anyways, bad news?"

Officer: "I think it's best if you all take a seat for the unpleasant news that follows. As you are aware, we have thoroughly investigated this matter to make sure that your missing family members are returned home. We have unfortunately reached a dead end in all of our searches, so we have chosen to shut down the case and record it as a presumption of death. We all sincerely apologise and hope that they are all at peace wherever they are."