Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Shalini peeped outside the window to stare at the clear night sky. The moon seemed to be staring back at her when she shook her head in despair. She was in love with Dhairya so much that she couldn't resist the feelings of jealousy preoccupying her. Whatever, the actual truth was that she had always considered Dhairya's feelings for granted and overconfident enough that he would never be able to stick up with somebody else other than her.

As the clock struck eleven, she heard a knock and clatter of footsteps next to her door. She wondered if Shaurya was there to see her once before going off to sleep, and so she wiped her tears with the back of her palm. When nobody answered, she felt restless and sauntered slowly towards it. Before she could turn the knob to open the door, her visitor was quick enough to already enter the room without any permission.

"Why are you still awake, Shai?" It was Dhairya's voice full of concern for her. "You are in the habit of sleeping early, aren't you?"

Shalini nodded, refusing to meet his eyes as he put her vision glued to the floor. "I was going to sleep now but you. . ."

"I haven't been home since evening, Shai. I just returned and saw the lights of your room blinking," He said, adjusting his shirt's collar. "I wondered if things were fine with you."

"Papa also hasn't been home since evening. He returned a while ago and we had dinner together," She said, faking a smile. "Did you have dinner or shall I serve you?"

"I am glad to hear that you are gradually closing the gap between your father and you." He imparted a brilliant smile. "Sorry that I missed this adorable scene of the daughter and the father dining together. I had to accompany Nia for some shopping in the local market and had our dinner at a traditional restaurant."

When Dhairya mentioned it, Shalini could feel her heart beating out of her chest. Trying hard not to let him notice the frustration marking her face, she gulped before speaking, "Alright, you may go to sleep."

"Won't you?"

"I will."

As Dhairya prepared to leave, he did not fail to notice the paleness covering her face. He took a step forward and bent lower, watching her face in nearness. "Are you upset about something? Did you argue with uncle Shay again?"

"Why do you always have to consider that every sadness of mine is somehow directly or indirectly connected to my fragile relationship with my father?" Shalini broke out all of a sudden in a voice louder than usual. "I can be in sorrow for various other things."

"Are you the same soft-spoken Shai I have always known?" Dhairya's gaze on her became intense as her unusual behaviour disturbed his peace of mind. "Shai has never spoken in a harsh tone with her Dhai."

Her Dhai!

Shalini could feel her heartbeat rise, beating like a drum in her chest. Her fingers shook as she stepped closer to him and with her wet eyes glimmering, she stared at him warmly. Dhairya's lips trembled as if he wanted to utter so many things to her but he knew his limits. Though he loved her, he was aware that she had always been indifferent to him.

"Dhai!" Shalini gathered all her courage to lift her hand and wrap her fingers around his wrist, intertwining his fingers soon after. "I am sorry for behaving like that. I didn't like. . ."

"Can you clearly tell me what's bothering you?"

"I mustn't bother him." She thought for once. Nia seemed to be one of his closest companions, working hard for his welfare. "Dhai, are we close?"