Chapter 53

Chapter 53

"Aarohi has fled!" Nidhi let out a shrieking cry as she appeared from the room of the bride-to-be. The groom's family was poised quietly on the center stage as soon as they heard of the devastating truth. "How can a bride escape on the day of her wedding?"

"It is going to be a shame for the family." Abhimanyu was the next one to speak, followed by the other elderly members. "It is considered to be a bane if the bride escapes her wedding like that."

"It may also bring bad omen to the life of my son Dhairya if he has to be left alone at the altar." Vidya shivered inwardly. "Nidhi, how can your daughter do this to us?"

"Calm down, Vid-ya." Sanchi came forward, engulfing Vidya in her arms. "I least expect you to beli-eve in these supers-titions, Vid. What if our Aaru is in some sort of dan-ger?"

"No, Vanya, Aaru has willingly gone away, leaving us to face all the humiliation of the society." Nidhi showed a crumpled sheet of paper to them. "She has also left a note for us."

Arjun dashed past them and snatched the paper from Nidhi's hand and began reading it aloud:

*
Mom and dad,

I can't marry the eldest son of the Bundelas, because I'm so in love with someone else. Despite being aware of this, grandpa deliberately arranged my marriage to him which I despise of strongly. Even though I could have disclosed this before the situation accelerated, I let it happen. Do you want to know why?

Some decades ago, the Bundelas were blamed for dumping a bride on her wedding day and forced to face the severity of all times. Fast forward to this day and the situation has reversed for the better. After this day, no one will blame the other for whatever damage has been done, nobody will become the cause of suffering for the other, and no one will extract revenge for the sake of such a thing!

I am a free bird from today who's going to lead a life without any fear or pain; I beg the same for the family too, to dump all your enmities and live together blissfully.

Nobody cared for the feelings of either of us— Dhai or mine, everyone was too busy in making the necessary arrangements for the wedding and strengthening the ties of the families. I was never in love with Dhai bro at least!

I know my act today will be counted as an act of humiliation and cruelty; but none of these matters for people who are truly in love, be it the then grandpa Virendra or the now Aarohi.

"What matters the most is that LOVE MUST ALWAYS TRIUMPH."

With Love,
Yours Aaru.
*

"She never shared about her feelings with me." Nidhi was almost on the verge of breaking down. "What will I do now?"

Arjun crumpled the sheet of paper in a fit of rage and stood facing his father. "You knew all this while, that Aaru is in love with someone else. How could you arrange her wedding to someone she was never in love with?"

Abhimanyu was already in a state of shock while answering, "I thought my decision would bear fruits in uniting Aaru to the love of her life. I was also hopeful that they would reconcile but the situations worsened. I chose to continue with the marriage since breaking a wedding would mean bad omen for the families."

"So you always knew that Aarohi was not in love with Dhairya and vice-versa?" Virendra was now the one to break his own silence. "Why did you lie to me that Dhairya used to write his novels behind the façade of his beloved, i.e. Aarohi? I trusted you, Manu."

While Abhimanyu had no answer, Vidya turned to Dhairya. "I don't want to hear anything except the name of the girl behind the character of Shyra. I have never tried intruding into your personal space all these years, and by the virtue of your consent to this marriage that we also agreed to it."