Chapter 58

Chapter 58

The sun had just set in a while, leaving a white cast in the background and so was Rehaan's face, who had recently been admitted to the city hospital for removal of the tumour breeding in his head. The surgery which was supposed to take place within a week since the doctor's advice, had managed to bring a rapid change in the relationship of Aarohi and Rehaan. Aarohi, who had been beside him like a rock all the while did not miss a single minute of taking care of him.

It was upon Rehaan's hard-end command that she refrained from informing his family about it. A promise which he had compelled her to follow and she obediently did, brought nothing but only self-satisfaction to his own psyche. Rehaan's grandfather's illness was only one of the petty reasons why he had solely chosen the way as to how his treatment was to be done, topped by the constant support of both Aarohi and Ishaan.

For the kind of introvert Rehaan was, whether it was during his childhood or as an adult, he had always followed the path of self-suffering. The silent pain of wrestling with the news of the demise of his parents, the marriage fiasco of Aarohi and the hardship to be faced at the operation table- he was mentally prepared to face them all on his own.

"Rehaan..." Tears sparkled in the corner of Aarohi's eyes as she put her palm across his forehead, watching him taking rest on the hospital bed. "Pihu has been calling you since morning and I didn't know if I would receive the phone call. I must handover your cellphone to you to directly converse with her."

"I hope you didn't tell them anything about my whereabouts." Rehaan's stiffened voice was as feeble as a child. "I will forever remain grateful to you."

Aarohi did not protest, instead dialed Prachi's number for him. After a few rings, the latter received it and scoffed into the speaker, "Where have you been, bro? The last time you spoke to us was at least th-ree days ago when you were going out of town. How could you be so heart-less for not being able to pay our grandpa a single visit?"

Rehaan took a deep sigh, prominently audible to Prachi over the phone. The clock kept ticking beside him on the table top as silence had engulfed him. With a blow of air from his mouth, he murmured in a wheezy voice, "I am so urgently stuck with something. I will visit soon. How is he doing?"

"It doesn't matter now as grandpa will be discharged tomo-rrow. All for God's favour, he's doing better than before." Prachi informed him. "But why do you sou-nd like that, bro? Are you not well?"

"I am doing great by God's favour." He continued in his wheezy voice. "And I hope we really don't feel this distance between us one day, so that you exactly know what your twin has been throughout his entire life."

At one point of time, Aarohi waited in the corner of the room listening to their conversation. She could not bear to entirely blame Rehaan for the distance created between his family and him. Also, she could not hold Prachi or his family completely guilty for the same. Somewhere between the thread of their relationship, a strain was too active to be resolved easily.

Aarohi put his phone away and mixed a glass of orange and lemonade juice for him. She was doing everything as the doctor had advised her to, from being his attendant to his mental support, she was performing all of it with a soft smile on her face.

"Am I that bad?" asked Rehaan while resting on the bed. Aarohi's ear twitched as her eyes met his and she ran her fingers through his hair. "Tell me, Aarohi, please."