Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The time of the night had arrived when Shalini was ready to either make a decision or move out of the dilemma permanently. On one hand, she couldn't afford to lose someone like Dhairya and on the other, she was afraid of taking any wrong step which could impact her emotions drastically.

With small steps, she began heading towards the room where Shaurya was preparing to go to bed. Rohini was unfurling the blanket when Shalini knocked on their door. As soon as the latter saw her, she pulled her by her wrist and ushered her inside the room.

"Shai, haven't you slept yet?" Rohini questioned her. "Is there a problem?"

"No, mumma." She managed to tell a lie. "I want to speak to papa about something."

"Alright, carry on." Rohini gestured with a smile.

"Personally." Shalini added, keeping her eyes glued at Shaurya's frowning face. "Can we move aside, please?"

While Shaurya nodded, Rohini was stuck pondering over it. "What's cooking between both of you? I'm scared of the father-daughter duo now. Are you both planning something against me?"

"Oh Rohi, don't you see Shai is worried about something. Will you stop with your trail of questionnaires right now?" Shaurya said before wrapping his arm around Shalini's shoulder. "My daughter needs me for some help and I am going to assist her."

"What sort of a problem is it that only a father can solve?" Rohini was perplexed. "I thought I was Shai's best friend when it came to sharing problems!"

"You were but in my absence. Shai doesn't need you anymore when I am here." While Shaurya chuckled, Rohini rolled her eyes. "Come on Rohi, we'll fight on this topic later."

Leaving a confused Rohini behind, both Shalini and Shaurya moved out of the room. As Shaurya rested his palm on her cheek, Shalini started sobbing into his hand. With his eyes also turning moist, he said, "Will you tell me what happened, Shai? It's already midnight now."

"Do you think Dhai loves me?"

"I know he loves you. I hold a larger confidence in him than you, my dear."

"Was it because of this confidence that you left me behind when I was a child?"

"What sort of a question is this, Shai? We've already discussed so much on this topic without any outcome."

"But I want an outcome now, papa. I can't bear this anymore. I can't bear being away from Dhai anymore." She was crying bitterly. "Though I've known Dhai so closely, yet I feel I'm so emotionally detached from him. If not now, I'll lose him forever."

"I can't get you. Can you please elaborate?"

"Hadn't you left me alone in the first place, I wouldn't have to face this situation at all." Shalini began with her accusations. "Dhai used to be so close to me and now suddenly he seems to be aloof. He holds the excuse of your presence in my life that he can't be with me when you're already there to take care of me."

"Did he himself tell you this?"

"He did and I'm so pissed off. For once I thought we were getting so close and he would never change his mind for another. But he did. He's done and dusted with my presence in his life. He has Nia—"

"I now understand where the main problem lies." Shaurya leaned against the wall and folded his arms. "After every single day which you pass without Dhairya, your route of accusations always pauses at blaming me. I know I'm guilty but then I'm not."

Shalini didn't know how to react. With her eyes partly shut, she shook her head. "It's not like that. I don't want to accuse and hurt you. But then things take a turn in my life and I — get crazy. . . I'm sorry."