Chapter 71

Chapter 71

The trial felt like a nerve-wracking battle. The dark walls and tall ceilings of the courtroom magnified every tiny sound, making the atmosphere thick with suspense. Bhairav, the accused, appeared calm as a cucumber at his seat. His lawyer, Keshav, adjusted his glasses and geared up for what's next. On the opposite side sat Ayush, the prosecutor, a relentless truth-seeker who observed his opponent with precise patience.

"We are back to square one, aren't we?" the judge began, his voice steady and commanding. "Bhairav has been accusing Vihaan Bundela of his wife Ratna's death from the very beginning. Amidst all these proceedings, I've noted that both the chemist and the receptionist, detained for replacing Mrs. Talwar's prescribed medication, identified Kunwar in their sketches. How will this be clarified?"

Jwala, who had been watching both Sanchi and Vidya intently, finally broke the tense silence of the courtroom. Her voice cut through the air, resolute and clear. "Because Kunwar was responsible. His actions led to Ratna's death."

"Are you aware of what you are saying before a court of law?" Ayush demanded, turning sharply to face Jwala. His eyes narrowed, his voice a mix of incredulity and challenge. "How and why did he commit this?"

Jwala met Ayush's gaze, her resolve unshaken. "Yes, I am fully aware," she replied, her voice unwavering. "Kunwar had access to the medication and the opportunity to switch it by bribing the chemist."

"Why?"

"Ratna had to die, making Bhairav's quest for revenge on Vihaan more severe," Jwala continued, her voice resonating with a mixture of sorrow and determination. "Kunwar's actions not only silenced Ratna but also framed Vihaan, deepening the tragedy and setting Bhairav on a relentless path of vengeance."

A heavy silence draped over the courtroom as Jwala's words sunk in. Ayush stood motionless, grappling with the weight of what was revealed. The judge leaned in, his eyes narrowing as he processed the unexpected twists and turn of events.

"This is a grave accusation," the judge finally said, his voice measured. "Why did Kunwar go on to kill Ratna if harming Vihaan was his actual motive?"

Jwala took a deep breath, her voice tense but steady as she continued. "As I already stated, Kunwar and I always preferred working from behind a cover, under a disguise, for fear of getting caught. During those times, we were unaware that Vanya was Vihaan's wife. Vihaan was deeply involved in unraveling the mystery behind the passport racket case, grappling with betrayers within his own crime branch team. On one occasion, Vihaan visited Omkareshwar and was tasked with dealing with Bhairav's crimes. He did as commanded, leading to Bhairav's imprisonment and Ratna's admission to the hospital for her delivery."

She paused, the weight of her words hanging in the air. "Kunwar and I were already working secretly to uncover the secrets of Vihaan's personal life. When we discovered the strained relationship between his family and the Ranas and Talwars of Omkareshwar, we seized the opportunity to turn Bhairav against him. Given Bhairav's notorious reputation and his nature, we found him the perfect pawn for settling our scores."

The courtroom was silent, every eye on Jwala, while Vihaan felt his wrists tensing up with the new revelation. Unable to bear the murmur of people around him, he rose from his seat and faced Jwala. "Since the day I began my mission on the passport racket case, you both were stalking me and every step I took!"

"Not entirely, but to some extent, especially after the imprisonment of Officer Tarun and the owner of ADR channel, Shakti," Jwala replied, her tone cold and calculated. "Shakti's news channel used to work closely with ours before it was shut down. We were also annoyed by a new editor, Sanchi, who had led his channel to new heights with her excellent analyses, unaware that Sanchi was actually our very own Vanya. So, we manipulated Shakti, exploiting his desire for Sanchi. He, driven by that desire, tried to molest her."