Chapter 51

Chapter 51

"The next team in line is Nidhi and Dhairya's, who are supposed to give their best on the field." Virendra announced, summoning them to the center stage. "My grandson and his partner are all set to tackle the challenge thrown by the previous teams."

Some of them clapped while Nidhi whispered into Dhairya's ear. "Do you have any idea of using a catapult?"

Dhairya rolled his eyes. "Don't you, aunt Nidhi?"

"No." She admitted sadly. "Never even touched it in my life!"

"Oh." Dhairya shook his head. "It seems we've already lost it then."

Both of them aligned themselves before Virendra's call, and as their timer began, Nidhi rushed towards collecting pebbles for Dhairya. Dhairya almost took four to five shots at a wood apple before being able to pluck it.

The next was Nidhi's turn to take a close dig at the catapult and its mechanism, and she proved to be a lame duck at it. With this, their time ended and their score read only 'one'.

Durga took to the microphone, "Can we now give way to our next team, the team of Vihaan's to showcase their prowess in the game?"

Vihaan held his collar high and walked ahead of Shaurya to cross paths with Sanchi, who was approaching from the other end. They saw each other, exchanged fiery glances and left after throwing a silent challenge at each other.

"Shaurya, we'll have to score as much as we can and throw a target that no one can cross easily." Vihaan told him before handing over the catapult to him. "You begin first."

Sanchi watched them silently before mouthing something inaudible at Vihaan. "Scared to handle the catapult first!"

Shaurya aimed at the wood apple he could see first as soon as Vihaan handed him a pebble and knocked it down on his first attempt. Vihaan clapped his back with a word of encouragement before replacing Shaurya at his spot.

When Shaurya gave him a pebble, Vihaan missed his target in the first instance. He took a second chance to achieve success at knocking down a wood apple this time. Alternatively, Shaurya plucked another one followed by Vihaan, and their score now reads 'four'.

The bell rang when Shaurya completed plucking the fifth one and Vihaan could not get a third chance of aiming with the catapult again. A huge round of applause flooded through the audience and Prachi threw a hug at each one of them.

"I always knew uncle Shay's skillful tal-ent, but the way papa did it is really impressive." Prachi told them. "Congra-tulations for topping the chart."

Virendra spoke into the microphone, "I think Vihaan and Shaurya have together set a huge target for the rest of the remaining teams. Five is not a bad score at all."

"Vir, shall we invite the next pair in the row?" Durga said and pronounced Shalini's name. "Shalini and Tejal, it's your turn now to prove your capabilities."

Tejal walked ahead of Shalini, who was staggering behind her. When they had reached the centre, Tejal handed over the catapult to Shalini to initiate the game for their team. Shalini’s fingers trembled while trying to get hold of the cord and she flinched at first. “I cannot do this, no..."

Shalini mumbled away in shyness before being encouraged by Prachi. “Shai, didn’t you tell me you are bra-ve!”

Shalini rubbed her palms and shook her head in a palpable gesture, and caught hold of the catapult again. Her mind wandered from being a fearful introvert to an ornate expression of courageousness. She thought of all her struggle as a child when she had to live without the identity of having a father; and when she had found one in Shaurya, he went out of her reach for time immemorial.