Chapter 60

Chapter 60

"Not very dangerous." The doctor examined the reports of Rehaan thoroughly while being in a conversation with Vihaan. "You must not be too anxious, Mr. Bundela. After he is operated, he will be able to return to his original self within a few days."

"What about my wife Sanchi?" The doctor did not fail to notice the pensive look on Vihaan's face. "She had a nervous breakdown. How is she doing now?"

"Her vitals are normal and responsive. You may meet her."

After the doctor had permitted him, Vihaan reached Sanchi's cabin. She was quietly respiring with both her eyes closed, while her forehead was lined by thin grooves. Never had Vihaan wondered of witnessing Sanchi in such a vulnerable state, especially at a time when their son was unwell.

The emotions of the only woman whom he had admired, loved and respected for his entire life for the courage she possessed had faltered today.

"You have been my brave better-half always, hickory." He whispered close to her ear, letting his palm caress her forehead. His pain was visible in his eyes though he was mentally preparing himself to remain strong against another storm that was lurking over his life right now. "I need my strong Sanchi back to action like ever before to fight against all odds together."

Her lips moved as if she was trying to murmur something while her eyes flickered when she strived to open them. Feeling numb all over her body, she twisted on her side and caught Vihaan's wrist in a palpable gesture.

"How is he do-ing?" She grumbled in a voice so fragile that half of her words almost became inaudible to Vihaan. "Rihu mu-st be fine by now—"

"He will be fine." Vihaan laced his fingers with hers before rubbing the back of her palm and pecking on it. "He is still in the OT. The doctors have been trying their level best to convert it into a successful venture."

"Oh." Sanchi mentioned persistently, while attempting to rise from the bed. "Wh-at sort of a mother I am, who inst-ead of taking all nece-ssary actions for her son is here lying down shame-lessly."

"No, you mustn't get up. You're weak."

Ignoring Vihaan's comment, she walked out of the chamber worriedly only to reach Aarohi, who had remained confined to the single waiting room for almost the entire day.

Vihaan followed Sanchi while she protested, expressing her urge to speak to Aarohi for once. The girl dressed in unironed crumpled clothes sat on the wooden bench, staring aimlessly at the ceiling and moving her trembling lips in a genuine prayer.

"Aaru..." Sanchi called for her, and when her eyes met Aarohi's, she felt something crankle inside of her heart. The sunken dark eyes and uncombed hair led her to believe that Aarohi's and her own pain for Rehaan's well-being were inadvertently common to both of them.

"Auntie." Aarohi was surprised at first, and was almost on the verge of breaking down when Sanchi consoled her by engulfing her into her arms. "I'm sorry for not informing you about this before. I'm the only one to be blamed. I'm the reason behind all his suffering. Hadn't he accompanied me to Indore, things might have been different."

"He accom-panied you to Ind-ore!" Sanchi was taken aback, trying to seep in the little bit of important information. "Weren't you the on-ly one alone on the day of your wedd-ing?"

"No, auntie, I was not." Aarohi confessed unmindfully. "Though I was not persuaded by either Rehaan or my cousin Ishaan, I left Omkareshwar with him, willingly. "

Sanchi gulped the bitter saliva and cleared her throat. Her understanding of her own son had turned out to be so wrong that she could not digest the truth so easily. Despite everything, it was also true that Rehaan had been battling his own battle inside the operation theatre. So, she could not help but wait for his speedy recovery.