Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"You escaped through the window! Are you insane, Rihu?" Shaurya asked him as soon as he entered home with Prachi. "If you were really planning to rescue Pihu out of the custody, why didn't you share it with us?"

"I wish I could if you all were willing to listen!" Rehaan suddenly burst out. "All the while you were busy playing the game of bloodshed and revenge, as a result of which my sister got dragged into the dirty brawl. Did anyone care to listen what I were pleading for?"

"It was required, Rihu. The fight and the arguments were utmost necessary." Shaurya tried to explain him. "Bhairav did almost kill your father, hadn't Pihu acted at the right time."

"He did kill them years ago, didn't he?" Rehaan widened his eyes before adding, "There's nothing new in this story."

"What sort of an apposition is that?" Shaurya was astonished by Rehaan's rude behavior. "Are you seriously kidding with me? Have you lost your mind?"

"I didn't but you all are, uncle." Rehaan answered again. "I am not bothered by anything except for my sister's safety. I couldn't wait until the morning to fetch her home from the custody, unlike her other well-wishers in this house."

Sanchi and Vihaan had been listening to Rehaan since the very beginning. Unable to keep his calm, Vihaan took  a voluntary step ahead. "And how would you have done that if Ishaan hadn't withdrawn the case before you reached?"

Rehaan tapped the floor with his feet silently before saying, "I would have fought the policemen, argued or did anything that could have led to my imprisonment next to Pihu, or at least allow me to stay near her until daybreak. I didn't feel her safe in that kind of dangerous vault with unknown men around her."

"And you thought you could have protected and saved her from their clutches without any legal propositions?" Vihaan raised his eyebrows. "Answer me, son."

When Vihaan wrapped his fingers around Rehaan's wrist and his other hand patting his cheek, Rehaan could feel his temper subside. Still trying to keep his anger steady, he managed to respond, "I— I know I couldn't but I wasn't insensible enough to leave her all alone as you wanted her to be."

"Rihu!" Sanchi hollered from the side before moving forward. "Do you thi-nk your father is inca-pable of keeping his dau-ghter safe? He had worked for the police depart-ment for many years and there's rarely any inst-ance when he failed not to keep inno-cent victims safe. How can you put the ent-ire blame on him?"

"Mrs. Ratna Talwar passed away under his supervision, didn't she?" Rehaan stiffened, trying to hold his patience. Clearing his throat, he uttered again, "He failed to protect uncle Pratyush that night, including his own accident. He failed to protect the unity of his family— that compelled his little children to live and grow up in a place miles away, not even knowing the whereabouts of their parents."

"Rehaan?" Shaurya was wide-mouthed, unable to believe him. "Why are you trying to create a new damage now? Why are you deliberately trying to hurt your parents? They couldn't even find enough opportunity to embrace their children after meeting them a decade later."

Rehaan ignored Shaurya and continued blabbering, "What about the pain they gave us, uncle? Why were we pushed away? Why did you all hide the truth from us? Why didn't you let us know that they were alive and doing better without us?"

"But we never told you that they have passed away. You were only informed that you're sent abroad for higher studies for better future— which is actually true." Shaurya explained to him. "It was only Pihu who used to mention to me about contacting Vay and Vihaan, but you were the one who always prevented her from doing so. Were you really upset with your parents since you left for London?"