Chapter 17

Chapter 17

While an unconscious Abhimanyu was carried away by the guard, a delighted Bhairav danced in rejoice around his room. He was one of the happiest persons on Earth until a sudden knock on his door interfered with his happy moments and alerted his subconscious mind.

"Oh, Ishu, come in." Bhairav permitted when he saw Ishaan at the doorway, waiting for his attention. "Do you need something?"

"Bauji, I was here with a request." He slowly began, being aware of Bhairav's stern gaze on him. "I wanted to... I mean I thought if I could take Prachi out for some shopping before the wedding actually takes place. She doesn't have enough clothes or jewelry and—"

"I've understood what your request is all about," Bhairav said plainly. "She's going to become the only daughter-in-law of the Talwars and it wouldn't look nice if the bride carried a gesture so dull and colourless. In fact, I would have myself suggested you to fetch her for some shopping."

"It means you are permitting us, bauji."

"Yes, my son, and get any amount of cash you need from my cashier." Bhairav told him with a smile so cunningly genuine. "I want a lavish wedding procession of the only son of mine."

Ishaan smiled at Bhairav's gesture as he spoke, "No, bauji, I was here only to get your permission. I don't need money from the cashier. Whatever I earn from running the scouts academy, I want to present my would-be-wife with it. She should be proud of my earning capacity, however less it may be."

"I am proud of you, my son." Bhairav caressed Ishaan's hair. "You will be a very responsible husband, I believe. Take care of her while you go on a trip today. She's very lucky for you and also for our family."

Ishaan left the room after taking his father's blessings. Bhairav, on the other hand rested his hands on his hips and murmured with a sly smirk, "I think Ishu is falling for the granddaughter of the Bundelas. Least I can imagine my son revolting against me. Before his feelings start accelerating for her, I'll have to get the twins out of my way and I know how to do it!"

Calling for his guard again, he widened his eyes as the guard entered the room in a hurry. Bhairav said with a growl, "Your chote Talwar sahab will shortly be leaving with Prachi for the supermarket across the central town. I want you to follow them secretly and let me know each and every detail from time to time. I'll keep instructing you further as time passes."

After the guard took his exit, Bhairav tripped all his way towards the backyard of his house and strode into the restricted chambers of the place with a groan. Ordering the closing of the iron gates behind him, he stepped inside the ruined building and snorted his nose at the disastrous condition of all the prisoners.

As he checked upon every one of them, his devilish eyes fell on a shivering Virendra and an unconscious Abhimanyu, both of whom were locked up in the same cage. With an ugly grin, he laughed at the two old men who seemed so helpless and disabled for the worst.

"Bring me a glass of cold water." Bhairav hollered across the cells, causing the echo of his harsh voice. As one of the guards provided him a glass full of chilling water, he splashed it over Abhimanyu's senseless face until the latter opened his eyes out of the cold. "Uncle Manu."

Abhimanyu could not at first recollect where he was until he saw Bhairav's face looking down upon him from the other side of the iron bars. Abhimanyu hated being captivated by someone but when eventually he was, he knew he had no way out of it. Turning to his left, he caught notice of Virendra and recognized him soon after.

"Vir—" Abhimanyu could not believe his eyes. Witnessing his once-upon-a-time best friend in such a fragile state was already a terrifying moment, and the poor condition of Virendra petrified him. "How have you been? What have you done to yourself?"