Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Rehaan finished his breakfast without a word that morning. There was a grave silence prevailing among the members of the family, including Sanchi and Vihaan. They could feel a very strong urge to prevent him from leaving the town, resolve their differences and the discontent affecting Rehaan, besides wrapping him in a indestructible bond that would hardly give him any space for escape.

"Rihu?" Sanchi initiated the conversation. "Won't it be possi-ble to reverse your deci-sion— just with any non-sense excuse?"

The pain in her voice reflected everything as she pleaded to him. Being parents wasn't easy either. Sanchi exchanged glances with Vihaan when Rehaan flung his chair away after completing his breakfast. With a murmur, he said, "Please mom, don't even think of it. I'm not going to stay back. I'm already determined in my decision."

"Do you not wa-nt to even spare us a lone cha-nce to recti-fy our faults?" Sanchi almost squeaked, gulping the bitter saliva into her throat. "Don't your par-ents deserve it? Are th-ey so averse to your hatred tow-ards them?"

"Please do not try this on me, mom—" He repeated again. "Don't weaken me by your words of superfluous emotions. And— I am not doing anything out of my hatred. I— I'm just now . . ."

". . . in ne-ed of space." Prachi completed his sentence for him. "Rihu is in need of spa-ce and he can do any-thing for upholding his peace, ev-en if it requires hur-ting his parents."

"Pihu?" Rehaan's gaze froze on her. "I don't want you to suffer too. If it requires us to go back to London, we'll also do it. Just listen to me once, please."

"I have be-en a constant wit-ness to how our grandpa was thr-own behind that dirty pri-son, Rihu." Prachi's voice shivered as the memories flooded her brain. "I can also ima-gine how difficult it was for maa to ma-nage a severely injured papa after the acci-dent. We have certain responsi-bilities towards them, don't we?"

Rehaan refused to utter another word. Quietly clamping his fingers around the handle of his trolley, he started towards the door. "I don't understand why you are being so silly, Pihu. Leaving behind an amazing career opportunity only to get ahead with some old family enmity drama mustn't be on your cards, I warn you for the last time."

"And I deny your propo-sitions for the ump-teenth time, brother." Prachi winked before throwing her arms around his torso. "I do ha-ve my career planned ins-ide my head, don't you worry. Time doesn't mat-ter to me. I may be dela-yed in setting up my fut-ure but satisfaction is more nece-ssary. If your loved ones are happy, you'll pros-per in your ambition easily. I'll miss you, Ri-hu. Take care of yourself."

Prachi's words brought tears to Sanchi's eyes. With one swift stride, she pulled Rehaan to her chest and caressed his hair. Rehaan jerked his head once but found it difficult to detach himself from his mother. Letting his body melt into Sanchi's affectionate arms, he began breathing rapidly.

"Though your pre-sence amongst us will be missed, our man-sion in Indore also requ-ires the owner for it's mainte-nance. It has been years sin-ce it was left aban-doned." Sanchi murmured into the surface of his tattered shirt. "Just ma-ke sure you keep us upd-ated on the develop-ments of our house and also of your car-eer. Take care of your-self, son. If you need more assis-tance in Indore, let your father kn-ow about it."

Vidya came forward and interrupted them, "I think it won't be necessary, Vay. Dhairya gave me a phone call this morning and said that he's in urgent need of staying back in Indore due to his book promotions. Rehaan will be a good company for him and he will help him out."

Shalini, who was standing in the corner of the hallway had heard Vidya and managed to purse her lips into a thin line. "Dhai has decided to stay back? Is he not well? Has his health deteriorated so he doesn't want to inform his parents about it? I'll have to find it out."