xvii.

114 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

ALAYNE MADE HER WAY THROUGH THE CASTLE AT A QUICK PACE. SHE COULD HEAR HER SISTER'S PAINED SCREAMS FROM down the hall and her steps quicked as she entered the room where Alicent was lying in bed pushing.

"One more push, Your Grace," a midwife instructs, and Alayne makes her way over to her sister's bedside.

"You did not tell me of your labor pains at breakfast this morning," Alayne says to her sister as she takes her hand, using the other to brush damp strands of hair out of her sister's face.

"I did not want to worry you before your journey," Alicent groans as she pushes once more. The room is suddenly filled with cries and everyone in the room celebrates with smiles as Alicent collapses back into the pillows.

"Fetch some towels for the queen," Alayne instructs and one of the lady maids nods her head as she obeys the order. The midwife wipes the baby off as does a check and smiles as she looks over at Alicent.

"It's a girl, Your Grace."

Alicent smiles at that, "A girl?"

"A niece," Alayne states happily as she looks at her older sister, "Well done, you've given me the thing I want most in this world."

Alicent chuckles tiredly, "Then you can be the first to hold her. I am far too drained to do so right now."

"Splendid!" Alayne exclaims as the midwife makes her way over to Alayne and hands her the baby. Alayne takes her and looks down at the girl as she gently brushes the blanket out of her face. She grins as she looks over at her sister, "She's lovely."

"Good, His Grace will be happy to hear that," Alicent responds.

"Have the two of you thought of a name?" Alayne asks, "Perhaps something of Old Town?"

"Viserys has chosen Helaena for a girl," Alicent informs her.

Alayne sighs, "I know he is the king, but you are the one giving birth. You should be allowed to name your children."

"It is not a big deal Alayne," Alicent tells her, "Besides I quite like the name Helaena. Go on and try it out on her."

Alayne looks down at her niece, "Hello Helaena. You're quite beautiful. You have my good looks."

Alayne looks up at Alicent to see her sister rolling her eyes, but with a smile on her lips, nonetheless. Alayne makes her way over and holds her daughter out to Alicent, but she shakes her head. Alayne nods and takes the girl, rocking her in her arms.

"You will have to hold her someday," Alayne tells her sister.

"Yes, but I do not wish for her to despise me the way that Aegon does," Alicent responds.

"He doesn't despise you," Alayne responds, "You mix hatred with unfamiliarity. Your son does not know you from a lady maid because you are so fearful of your children."

"I cannot deal with the screaming and crying," Alicent groans out, "And if you were in my position you would be unable to as well."

"Someday I will be in your position," Alayne responds, "And I will hold my children through every temper tantrum and every cry because that is what a mother is supposed to do. That is what makes your child comfortable with you. It's what gets them to stop crying."

"Then we are quite different," Alicent responds, "I did not ask for this. I never wanted to be a mother. But when the king summons me I do my duty." Alicent shakes her head, "And I hate every moment of it."