xii.

111 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

"STEP, ONE TWO THREE, STEP. NOW SPREAD YOUR ARMS, PRETEND THAT YOU'RE FLYING," Rhaenyra instructs and Alayne obeys as she raises her arms and Rhaenyra does the same. The princess smiles as she maintains eye contact. Alayne smiles as she does the next dance move, reaching out to Rhaenyra as she does the same, "You're quite good at this."

"I happen to be an excellent dancer," Alayne responds as she moves to the imaginary beat once again, "A traditional Valyrian dance is no different."

Rhaenyra smiles as she dances around Alayne, "Is that so?"

"Mhm," Alayne says as she maintains eye contact with Rhaenyra, "It's almost as if I were meant to do this dance."

"You do know that this dance is traditionally done at weddings, right?" Rhaenyra questions.

"Then I must have been born to marry a Targaryen," Alayne says as she dances around Rhaenyra, "Prince Daemon maybe?"

"Very funny," Rhaenyra retorts, her voice indicating the opposite and Alayne smiles.

"Do you think you can teach me High Valyrian or is that a privilege only allowed to Targaryens and the Dragon Keepers?"

Rhaenyra almost misses her steps, "You want to learn Valyrian?"

"Why not?" Alayne asks as she looks at Rhaenyra, "I feel like it would be fun if we could communicate in Valyrian. Ser Harrold will never know when we're making fun of him."

Rhaenyra laughs, "I feel as though that is the incorrect reason to learn Valyrian, but if you do desire to learn it then I shall teach you."

The dance requires Alayne to press her palm to that of Rhaenyra's as they circle each other. Alayne meets the eyes of the Princess and smiles coyly at her, "I desire it very much."

Rhaenyra's lips curve into a smile, but it quickly disappears as the doors to the room they were using were thrown open. The girls both stop dancing as they look over at the double doors to see Ser Criston and Ser Harrold standing there.

"Princess Rhaenyra. Lady Alayne," Ser Harrold greets with a short bow of his head, "The King and the Lord Hand have both request that you be at the council meeting."

"A council meeting?" Rhaenyra asks surprised, "Now?"

"Yes," Ser Harrold says, "I know that it is unusual, but the King demanded that the council gather immediately."

"And my father request that I be there?" Alayne asks.

"Yes, my lady," Ser Harrold says.

Alayne and Rhaenyra both share a look, their brains both trying to figure out if their late-night rendezvous were the reason that they were being summoned. They had been careful, and ladies shared beds with one another all the time. It wasn't as though they were doing anything wrong. 

They allow the two Kingsguard members to lead them to the council room. Ser Criston and Ser Harrold open the door for them as the men of the council talk amongst themselves. Alayne notices her sister standing at the side of their father and she makes her way over to the pair of them.

"What is the meaning of this father?" Alayne asks softly, knowing better than to question him in front of the lords. It was her first time speaking to him since the incident before he departed to Dragonstone.

"All will be answered in due time," is all that her father says. Alayne's brows arch in confusion and she looks over at her older sister for an answer. Alicent meets her eyes with an uneasy expression and suddenly Alayne knows exactly what this meeting is about.