xxxiv.

127 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

THE RETURN TO KING'S LANDING WAS AN UPSETTING EVENT FOR ALL, THOUGH NO ONE WAS MORE UPSET than the children of Queen Alicent and King Viserys. Their mother waited eagerly for their return and wore a smile at the sight of her children, but it was a gesture that they did not return.

Alicent's own smile slipped away, and she was quickly taken over by anger. She knew she should not have let her children go knowing that Alayne would turn them against her. Alicent had lived her life in envy of Alayne. Of her husband. Of their family. How she seemed to navigate such an oppressive space for women and yielded so much power. She despised her for it. She despised her even more for the love that Rhaenyra held for her.

If it weren't for Alicent, Alayne would be the miserable one married to the king.

And Alicent would be the one Rhaenyra pined over.

There was a sudden roar in the sky and Alicent's brows furrowed. The children hadn't taken their dragons and Daemon, Laena, and Rhaenyra had already returned to King's Landing, so who could possibly be flying?

Alicent looked up at the sky, looking at unfamiliar silver scales as they flew overhead and made their way toward the Dragon Pit. Alicent's expression fell as she looked at her sister. She counted over her nieces and nephews but rather than counting six, she kept getting the same number.

Five.

Five.

Alicent's lip twitched with anger. How was this possible? Brandon wasn't a Targaryen. Alayne certainly wasn't. How the hell did their child seemingly claim a dragon? The thought consumed Alicent. Alayne was born lucky, wasn't she? The Maiden of Spring they called her. Worshipped her. Adored her. Alayne complained of being unloved but from where Alicent was standing she'd seen nothing but love.

"Sister!" Alayne greets her with a smile. A weird sense of déjà vu to when Alayne first came to King's Landing and Alicent had greeted her sister eagerly thinking she'd be on her side. She had been incorrect.

"I see you're missing one," Alicent points out.

"Ah yes," Alayne says, "Quite a funny story actually. It seems that Cassana's bonded with Silverwing."

"Yes," Alicent states dryly, "Hilarious."

Alayne's smile widens and she locks arms with her sister, "You must tell me what I've missed while in Dragonstone. I have quite a bit to tell you as well. It seems Daemon and Laena are expecting. Laenor and Rhaenyra as well."

Alicent knows when Alayne's being fake and so she plays along.

"Well dear sister, if you must know, Jason Lannister is sporting a new haircut and it is quite unflattering," Alicent says, and the sisters share fake laughs.

They didn't like one another. Not truly. Alicent was jealous of her sister. Alayne was frustrated with hers. She didn't understand the desire to force her children to be unhappy. The fear she instilled in them. Most of all, her unwillingness to understand them.

The Hightower sisters had grown apart.

The returning party got settled within the castle with ease. Cassana began her lessons with the Dragon Keepers who were impressed with her commands. Durran began his training with Daemon, an improvement in his swordsmanship already beginning to show. Brandon often kept watch of the lessons, not trusting Daemon with the care of his youngest son.

Though they had returned to the ever-treacherous King's Landing, things seemed fine. The children continued to get along well, though Aemond had grown slightly colder toward Cassana and spent most of his time with Argella.