xlii.

132 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

CASSANA BARATHEON HAD EXPECTED A FEW SUITORS, WHAT SHE WASN'T EXPECTING WAS FOR EVERY ELIGIBLE BACHELOR IN WESTEROS TO BE AT HER beck and call. Ser Criston had told her that even Princess Rhaenyra hadn't seen as many suitors during her search for a husband.

She'd found comfort in the knight who had once been in charge of her mother's protection. Cassana was aware that being in King's Landing was dangerous with her grandfather as the hand of the king and her aunt as the impulsive queen that she is. Cassana knew she needed to walk on eggshells.

"We'll also hold a tourney in your honor," Alicent spoke with a smile, "We shall even hold an archery competition so that you may outdo your suitors."

Cassana smiles at the suggestion, "I quite like that idea. Though does the Crown have enough funds to spare on someone who isn't a member of the royal family?"

"You are," Alicent insists, "Not only does the blood of House Hightower flow through your veins, but that of House Targaryen as well. Besides the capitol would do well with a bit of liveliness."

"Well," Cassana begins, "I never turn down an opportunity to outdo the competition."

Alicent grins, "Splendid."

Cassana leaves the meeting with her aunt and walks through the Red Keep. It isn't long before the ladies of court descend on her. They all wanted her favor, and they also wanted a chance to court the men that she wasn't fond of which was pretty much all of them.

"Have you heard?" one of the ladies, a daughter to Lord Darklyn, asks, "A dragon was spotted arriving at the Dragon Pit earlier today. It's said to be that of Prince Jacaerys!"

"Finally," another lady exclaims, "A true prince! Do you think he's here to court you, my lady?"

"No," Cassana replies, "And why do you say finally a true prince? What of Aegon and Aemond?"

"Aegon is a sullen fellow. He drinks and mopes."

"I hear it's because the Queen forbade him from his real love, Lady Baela."

"How sad and romantic!"

Cassana's brows furrowed. She thought that by having three sisters that she was surrounded by too many women in her life. However, as she spent time with these ladies, she was learning that perhaps she and her sister had been raised differently.

"And Prince Aemond, what a hideous thing."

"I wonder what he did with his eye?"

"Some said that he offered as a sacrifice to the gods."

"He did not sacrifice his eye to the gods," Cassana states, "That is absolutely absurd."

One of the ladies gasps as she looks at Cassana, "You were there, weren't you? The night the Prince lost his eye. What happened?"

"It was an accident," Cassana replies. That is what the night had been, one big accident where Rhaena had lost her dragon, Aemond had lost his eye, and Aegon lost Baela. They'd all lost something, though not all of their losses were as visible as Aemond's.

"That is no accident, an accident is wearing the wrong shade of red when trying to impress the man courting you."

Cassana raised a brow at the words, "What is the wrong shade of red?"

"It's like Targaryen red versus Lannister red. Lannister red is scarlet," one of the ladies informs her. Cassana feels a laugh bubbling in her throat. These women had spent their lives concerned with the colors of their dresses while war was brewing right before their eyes.