xlviii.

132 A.C.
KING'S LANDING

FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE LAENA VELARYON'S FUNERAL, THE HOUSES OF VELARYON, BARATHEON, TARGARYEN, AND HIGHTOWER WERE ALL GATHERED together in the same place for the wedding of Jacaerys and Cassana. The Crown had offered to pay for it all since Jace would be inheriting the throne someday, or so it was said to keep appearances.

Cassana traced her fingers over silk imported from Volantis and looked over at her mother who had been in the capitol, aiding with the arrangements.

"I think I'd like to go with this one," Cassana says as she takes the fabric and holds it out to the tailor. He accepts it and holds it out to Alayne. She traces her fingers over it and gives her daughter a nod.

"Excellent choice," the tailor tells them both. He gathers the fabrics before heading out of the room and Cassana looks at her mother with a small smile as she takes a seat in a chair opposite of her mother.

Alayne lets out a small laugh, "You are miserable."

"Extremely. I care little about what my dress looks like! I wish Elissa were here, she'd quite enjoy picking our fabrics. She might even attempt to make the dress herself," Cassana states.

"Elissa's stitchwork leaves a lot to be desired," Alayne says and Cassana lets out another laugh, "Your father will be here with your siblings soon. I'm sure they'll all be excited to see you."

"I'm excited to see them," Cassana responds, "I am most excited for all of this to be over."

Alayne nods her head, "That's how I felt about my wedding as well. Your wedding will be remembered for years to come. Maesters will write about it. Young girls will sing songs about it. You are history."

"Cassana Velaryon," Cassana tests before trying, "Cassana Targaryen."

"When Jacaerys ascends the Iron Throne he will become Jacaerys Targaryen. Your children will be Targaryens."

Cassana shakes her head, "They will not look like Targaryens. They will have dark hair and blue eyes. Princess Rhaenys is an example of that."

"Appearance works in strange ways," Alayne tells her daughter, "You and your siblings all have dark hair and blue eyes, but Durran doesn't. He had red hair as a child, hair that is still fair. You may have a child with dark curly hair, you may have one with silver hair. Either way, they are still Targaryens."

Cassana sighs, "I know, I just worry if it will not be enough."

"Their dragons will be enough," Alayne reassures her daughter, "You and Jace are dragonriders. The people will bow to you for that reason alone."

"Grandfather-"

"Hush now," Alayne says shaking her head, "We will not think of that. I will admit the stakes are higher now, war is inevitable, but your father and I have prepared you and your siblings for this. Rhaenyra will sit on the Iron Throne. We have no choice but to ensure it."

"So a side has been chosen," Cassana states. Alayne looks at her daughter and Cassana offers her a small smile, "Mother we all know that you have wanted to side with Rhaenyra, and you may have privately but you have needed a reason to publicly do so. This is the reason. Your daughter being queen someday."

"Cassana you didn't-"

"No," Cassana says, "I care deeply for Jace. It just so happens that you and Princess Rhaenyra benefit from the union as well."

"So it seems that way," Alayne says softly.

"We will win this war," Cassana says as she reaches out and takes her mother's hand, "You cannot force a crown on someone who does not wish to wear it."