xxxvii.

127 A.C.
DRIFTMARK
•••

AEMOND AND CASSANA WALK SIDE BY SIDE AS THEY HEAD BACK TOWARD THE CASTLE. AEMOND STEALING LOOKS at her their entire walk down the beach. He was simply in awe of her. She looks up at him and Aemond quickly averts his gaze, but it was too late, Cassana had already caught him.

"So you've claimed a dragon," Cassana states as she stops walking and Aemond does the same as he looks back over at her, "How do you feel?"

"Remarkable," Aemond replies, "I don't think I've ever felt this way in my entire life."

Cassana smiles, "You should go tell Argella. I'm sure she'll be ecstatic for you."

"Right," Aemond says as he stares at Cassana. Her smile widens as she heads toward the castle. He watches her walk ahead before quickly chasing after her, "Can I ask you something?"

Cassana looks over at Aemond, "Of course."

"Actually," Aemond says, unsure as to why he feels so nervous, "I don't want to ask something. Instead, I wanted to apologize."

"Whatever for?" Cassana asks, her brows knitting together.

"The pig situation," Aemond says, "I – my mother was remarkably rude, and I would have taken the fall for everything."

"There was no need for you to do that," Cassana says, "It was my idea."

"But you did not deserve that treatment," Aemond tells her, "It angered me to see my mother treat you so."

"Yes," Cassana states, "But if that is how your mother treats me then I can only imagine how she treats you."

"She tries," Aemond mutters as he looks at the ground.

"I figured as much," Cassana says, "Which is why I was fine taking the fall. I hold no love for Queen Alicent. She cannot disappoint any further. But she is your mother and your views on her did not need to worsen."

"But they did," Aemond replies, "With how she treats you."

Cassana laughs, "I am fine. What I did was unladylike, so what? Most of the stuff I do is unladylike. I am not a lady. I never will be."

"What do you mean by that?" Aemond asks.

"My sister will be Lady of Storm's End. My other sisters will marry notable lords through out the Seven Kingdoms. While they do that, Silverwing and I will travel, exploring the great wonders of the world and eating cake. Lemon cake to be precise."

"You never intend to marry?" Aemond asks, the concept truthfully unheard of to him.

"Never," Cassana says with a grin, "Love is for boring people. It changes them."

"it changed Aegon for the better," Aemond responds.

Cassana laughs and shakes her head as she looks at Aemond, "Why are you so fascinated by my love life? Do you want to marry me?"

Aemond's eyes widen, and his cheeks darken, "What? No!"

Cassana giggles, "I was only teasing. I know you are betrothed to my sister. If you have worried about marriage, you shouldn't. It'll be at least five years before the two of you are wed. And Argella is wonderful. I would never tell her this, but I truly admire her."

"I admire her as well," Aemond speaks.

Cassana takes Aemond's shoulders and shakes him gently, "Then you have nothing to worry about! Come on, you must tell her that you've claimed a dragon! She'll be so proud of you."