lxvi.

134 A.C.
HARRENHAL
•••

DAEMON WOKE EARLY THAT MORNING AND SPENT IT WITH AEGON AND VISERYS. THE YOUNG BOYS SLEPT AS DAEMON SAT WITH THEM, unaware that it was the last time that they'd see their father. Daemon never envisioned himself as a father. He didn't think he'd be particularly good at it. But now he couldn't imagine life any other way.

"Your father loves you both dearly," Daemon tells the boys, planting a gentle kiss to each of their foreheads.

Daemon grabbed Dark Sister before making his way out of the Red Keep and to Caraxes. He looked back at the castle once more before climbing on the back of his dragon and taking off for the Riverlands.

Daemon stopped at several castles in the Riverlands, informing the lords and ladies of his intentions to go to Harrenhal. He wanted word to spread. He wanted Aemond and Cassana to know that he was coming.

No banners flew overhead of the blackened towers and ruined keeps of Harrenhal when Prince Daemon descended from the sky to claim the castle for his own. Aemond's men had seemingly fled and so Daemon walked the cavernous halls of Harren's seat alone. 

Fourteen hours passed when a shadow swept over the castle, blacker than a passing cloud. Daemon looked up at the sky to see that Vhagar had come at last. She wasn't alone, Silverwing accompanied her.

Aemond Targaryen was clad in night-black armor decorated with gold. Vhagar circled the towers of Harrenhal twice then he brought Vhagar down, a hundred years away from Caraxes. Cassana landed Silverwing in between the two dragons.

"Uncle, I hear you have been seeking us," Aemond states as he faces his uncle.

"Only you," Daemon replies. He looks at Cassana, "It's time for you to go home."

"She is home," Aemond states, "With me."

Daemon chuckles shaking his head, "You truly are a fool, aren't you?"

"No it is you who is the fool," Aemond responds, "You should not have come alone."

"Were I not alone, you would not have come," Daemon states.

"Yet here you are, and here I am. You have lived too long, Uncle."

"On that much, we agree," Daemon responds. He looks at Cassana and he can see it in her eyes, the bloodthirst and hunger, "Your grandfather is dead. Your mother didn't attend his execution."

"Was she sick?" Cassana asks, knowing that her mother had been waiting for that moment for what felt like Cassana's entire life.

"No," Daemon answers, "She instead spent the day with your siblings honoring your father. What you are about to do, you don't want to do it. Brandon wouldn't want this for you. Jace wouldn't want this for you."

"Who cares what the bastard wants," Aemond states, "He is dead and Laenor is my son."

Cassana stares at Daemon and he tilts his head as he looks at her. Cassana's lip quivers. Revenge. It's the only thing she's held on to. She held on to it while Aemond held her captive. While she and Alys were on the run. It has been the only thing that brought her comfort.

"I told your mother that I would send you home," Daemon states, "Don't make me a liar, Cass."

Cassana looks at Aemond, "Laenor isn't yours. I lied."

Aemond's eye widens, "What?"

"I wanted to get close to you and kill you," she states, "I wanted to avenge Jacaerys's death for he is the only man that I've ever truly loved."