xlvi.

132 A.C.
DRAGONSTONE
•••

"ONE MORE PUSH, PRINCESS!"

Alayne gently squeezes Rhaenyra's hand and wipes the sweat from her face. Rhaenyra shakes her head as she leans back into the pillows. She couldn't endure anymore. Alayne picks up on this and she leans her head toward Rhaenyra's.

"It's just one more," Alayne says, "You can do it okay? I'm right here."

Rhaenyra looks over at Alayne who offers her a gentle smile, and a nod of encouragement. Rhaenyra takes a deep breath and forces herself to sit up as she finds the strength to deliver the final push.

She grunts and squeezes Alayne's hand and the room is filled with loud cries. A smile breaks out on Alayne's face as she looks over at Rhaenyra, wiping the sweat from her forehead, "Do you hear that? You did it."

Rhaenyra smiles at Alayne and rests her head against her. The midwife comes over and hands them the cleaned-off baby with a smile.

"It's a boy," she informs them. Alayne looks over at Rhaenyra who tries her best to hide her disappointment. Alayne looks at the midwife with a smile.

"That's quite alright," Alayne says, "May I hold him?"

The midwife nods her head and hands Alayne the baby. She takes him with a smile and the room clears leaving Alayne and Rhaenyra alone. Alayne fixes the blanket around the baby boy and looks over at Rhaenyra who is watching the two of them.

"Hello," Alayne greets with a smile. Though the babe was not a girl, he was still a healthy babe and that alone was something to celebrate.

"We have no name," Rhaenyra says. Alayne looks up from the baby boy and takes a seat on the bed beside Rhaenyra.

"How about Aemond?" Alayne teases and Rhaenyra rolls her eyes as Alayne laughs loudly at her own comment.

"Very funny," Rhaenyra responds as she looks down at her son, "I am angry with him."

Alayne smiles, "You're angry with the babe?"

"Yes," Rhaenyra responds, "He was supposed to be a she."

"So was Aegon. So was Joffrey. It seems you are cursed to deliver nothing but boys," Alayne responds.

"No," Rhaenyra says, "We will have our Visenya."

Alayne chuckles, "Until we have our Visenya, what are we going to name this handsome boy?"

Rhaenyra rests her head on Alayne's shoulder and looks down at her son. She had no idea what to name him. She hadn't been expecting a boy so male names were not at the forefront of her mind.

"Oh!" Alayne says as she looks at Rhaenyra with a smile, "How about Viserys?"

"After my father?" Rhaenyra asks and Alayne nods her head.

"Not only would you be honoring your father, and it's kind of like a male variation of Visenya," Alayne says with a shrug, "Just a thought."

"Viserys it is," Rhaenyra says and Alayne looks over at her. Rhaenyra smiles at Alayne and she returns the gesture. Alayne leans over and kisses Rhaenyra on the top of her head. There's a knock on the door and Alayne looks over at it as Daemon gently pushes the door over.

"The children are growing impatient," Daemon informs them, "How is Visenya?"

"Visenya is actually Viserys," Rhaenyra corrects. Daemon seems surprised at the name choice.

"Viserys," he says with a small smile, "Excellent choice."

Alayne smiles as she stands and makes her way over to Daemon, "Would you like to hold him?"