xxxviii.

127 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

ALAYNE DRUMMED HER FINGERS AGAINST THE TABLE AS SHE LOOKED AT HER ELDER SISTER. ALICENT'S HAIR WAS PINNED UP and around her neck was a seven-pointed star, a symbol of the Faith of the Seven. Alayne wasn't sure what exactly was going on and why her sister looked like a zealot, but she decided not to ask questions.

"Your actions have cost us a lot," Otto says as he looks at Alicent, "Marriage alliances that could have been used to our advantage. Now we must revert to the original plan. Aegon."

"I'm telling you both, he will not marry anyone that is not Baela Targaryen," Alayne says, as she leans back in her seat, "Perhaps the marriage could be salvaged – oh wait you called Baela a whore."

"Alayne," Otto states firmly.

"Sorry," she mutters, though she doesn't mean it, "Aegon needs an agreeable match, one that makes him happy. Should he be discontented then we have an issue on our hands because he'll resist. Unfortunately, the only agreeable match is Baela."

"The boy is young, he'll get over her," Otto says flippantly.

"Sure," Alayne says, "Or he'll resent us forever."

"Do you think the match with Baela could be salvaged?" Otto wonders as he looks at his youngest daughter.

"Potentially," Alayne says, "Marrying Baela and Aegon ensures that House Velaryon is with us."

"How?" Alicent asks, "Lucerys and Rhaena are to be married. Lucerys will be Lord of Driftmark."

"Will he?" Alayne asks, "Vaemond Velaryon made it very clear at the funeral that the boys had no Velaryon blood. Laenor is gone. It isn't implausible that the throne may pass to Vaemond instead of Lucerys."

"And if Baela is Aegon's future queen, then it ensures that we have the richest house on our side," Otto says nodding his head.

"No," Alicent states firmly.

"Alicent," Alayne says softly.

"No," Alicent says shaking her head, "Aegon will not be marrying Daemon's daughter. Especially not when he's married to Rhaenyra now. I will not go groveling to them!" 

Alayne sighs, looking over at her father, "Well the Queen has spoken." She stands from her seat and rests her palms on the table, "I refuse to be there when you break that poor boy's heart."

Alayne pushes herself off the table and heads out of the room, but Alicent's voice stops her.

"I never had a choice," Alicent says. Alayne looks over at her and Alicent's jaw clenches as she stares at the table.

"What are you talking about?" Otto asks.

Alicent looks up at her father, her eyes watering as she shakes her head, "I didn't have a choice. Alayne got to sit and plan out her marriage to Borros and then Brandon. Gwayne was able to marry whatever maiden he wanted, but me? I never had a choice."

Otto chuckles, "You and I both know that isn't true."

"When?" Alicent asks, her voice cracking at the question, "When did you give me a choice?"

"I never sent for you, Alicent. I sent for your sister," Otto says, pointing a finger at his eldest daughter, "You answered the call. I told you what I wanted and you did it. You cannot blame me for the decision that you made."

Alayne's brows furrow as she listens to the conversation, "When did you send for me?"

"After Queen Aemma died," Alicent answers.