lxvii.

134 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

ALAYNE AND BAELA SAT WITH ONE ANOTHER, WATCHING AS AEGON, VISERYS, AND JOFFREY RAN AROUND THE CASTLE GARDENS while Laenor trailed behind them, taking a few steps at a time before falling. Each time he fell, Aegon was there to help him up, and then the running began again.

"The council is meeting today to discuss Aegon's fate," Alayne says as she looks at Baela.

"He is a traitor," Baela states, "He should receive a traitor's fate."

"You and I both know Aegon was only doing what he was told," Alayne says, "And from what I've heard, him ordering the deaths of Jace and Cassana was a reaction to Aemond harming you."

Baela looks at Alayne to find the older woman was already watching her, "What do you want us to do, Baela?"

"You're asking me?" Baela wonders.

"I do not know what the council's final opinion will be, but I would like to take your opinion into account when I present my argument. You were betrothed to him. You loved him. You truly knew him. Do you think Aegon would ever try to take Rhaenyra's throne?"

"No," Baela answers, "He never wanted it."

"Do you think the Wall would suffice?" Alayne asks.

"I don't want him dead," Baela answers, "And I know that makes me weak, but I did love him once. And he tried to resist the throne. Rhaenyra was his sister. Aegon – he just gave in to the role everyone wanted him to play."

"It doesn't make you weak," Alayne states, "I don't want Aegon dead either. And Alicent has lost two of her sons already. I will not force her to lose another."

Baela looks at Aegon and Viserys, "They'll never know Father. My heart aches for them."

Alayne looks at the boys, "They'll know Daemon. I'll make sure of it. He'll be hard to miss since he's everywhere they look."

Alayne glances at Baela, "I've never told you this, but you are the best of your parents. I loved your mother dearly and Laena's beauty lives on in you and Rhaena and it's rather comforting to be able to look at you and see her."

Alayne wraps an arm around Baela's shoulder, "To wear the face of someone you love is an honor. For everyone who loved her will look upon you and love you."

Baela looks away bashfully at the words.

"I miss my mother," Baela states, "I will always miss her. But if I wouldn't have her, I'm glad that you could be here to guide us."

"I will always be here," Alayne states, "Even when you get older and simply need a hug. I shall be there for you. As Laena and Daemon were there for me."

"Mummy," Viserys says as he runs toward Alayne. She and Baela both look over at him and she holds her arms open and picks up the small boy, "I'm tired."

"You're tired?" Alayne asks, "But we've only begun to play!"

"You and sissy aren't playing," Viserys says matter-of-factly, "You're talking."

"Does that bother you, little prince?" Baela asks as she tickles her brother. Viserys squirms in Alayne's grasp as he giggles.

"Will you play with us?" Viserys asks.

"I think we can," Alayne says as she looks over at Baela who nods in agreement. Viserys smiles as he wiggles out of Alayne's grasp to run over to his brothers.

"I suppose we must go play now," Baela says.

"I suppose so," Alayne says with a sigh. She quickly rises to her feet, lifting the skirts of her dress, "Last one over there is a rotten dragon egg!"